There it is…’Old Yeller’…the new sliding barn door between our bedroom and bathroom!

It’s bold, modern, industrial and ever-so-functional.  Way better than the cheap double doors that were there previously.  And I can take no credit for it.  This was all Handy Hubby.  I think I made a few pencil marks on the wall during the hanging process, but that’s it.  It’s made from the same fence boards as our headboard.  I went back and forth about leaving in au naturel or painting it.  But after revisiting one of my logged inspiration photos from Southern Living and seeing Handy Hubby get so excited about a colored something in our house, I had to do it.  Plus, I knew it’d be upstairs in the bedroom…not in the main living area of our home where we spend most of our time…so it wouldn’t be staring me straight in the face all day long.  I took the ruffled, mustard-colored pillow from our bed to Sherwin Williams for color inspiration when I chose the paint color.  It’s SW’s Auric in the glossiest finish they would give me.  We still need to add hardware {a handle on the bedroom side and a recessed pull on the bathroom side}, but I couldn’t wait to share some pics.  I’ve got a full on DIY tutorial in line for next week, but until then here’s some eye candy.  Here’s the door wide open…

…I’ve really got to do something about that oak vanity in the bathroom.  Soon enough.  And here’s the door shut…  {I don’t have to put a pillow over my head in the morning anymore while Handy Hubby is getting ready for work!}

Handy Hubby did a superb job hanging it.  It rolls as smooth as bud-dah.  {That’s ‘butter.’} Since the door itself was free {it’s reclaimed wood from Handy Hubby’s family farm}, we decided to splurge a little on the hanging hardware.  It’s nice and sturdy.  Solid.

Here’s the view from the bathroom…

Now, if that doesn’t wake you up during your morning shower, I don’t know what will!  I have to say, I probably would have never painted the sliding barn door this bold of a color all on my own. But it’s starting to grow on me.  And Handy Hubby absolutely loves it.  Maybe it’s because the entire door’s color scheme is a little reminiscent of a certain NFL team’s black and gold.

Handy Hubby is from just outside Pittsburgh, so it should come as no surprise that he’s a devoted Steelers fan.  As am I.  By marriage, of course.  And, apparently, in Pittsburgh they don’t know about the saying, ‘your barn door’s open.’  When I told Handy Hubby what I was going to title this post, he just stared at me.  I had to google it for him to prove that it referred to someone’s zippered fly being undone.  Have you heard of it before?  Do you know any other special undercover phrases that refer to one’s open fly?

Happy Super Bowling this weekend!  If you’re into that.  If not, just happy weekend then!

images:  1-7) Dana Miller for House*Tweaking  8) National Sports Beat

04.February.2011

I don’t know that I’ve ever lusted over something as much as I am this door!!! It’s gorgeous! Do you mind sharing the brand/where you got the hanging track?

Very, very good work. I’m gushing, I know, but it’s just lovely….and that’s a lot to say coming from a Ravens fan!

LOVE IT!

And I have totally heard that saying before. Now I want to do this in my own room, I have the perfect set up for it, too. Where did you get the hardware? I’ve checked out a few online sites, but maybe you found some others. Will you be posting a more detailed DIY regarding the door itself for those of us who are wood-working illiterate?

replied on February 4th, 2011

Elizabeth – Yes, full on tutorial is in the works for next week! Along with a link to the hardware.

04.February.2011

OMG I am in love… PLEASE PLEASE DO THE TUTORIAL!

Yea! Thanks.

And Go Steelers! (Since they are the only team in the game with a former Florida Gator on the roster.)

04.February.2011

Ok- so your headboard pretty much rocked my world. And as I told you before- solidified you as my favorite decor blog of ALL TIME. I still go back to gaze at it every so often and get a little giddy when I see a peak of it in other photos.

But this door? Yeah- umm, it’s INCREDIBLE (wish I had a better word than that, but I’m at a loss). I perhaps even bounced in my seat and clapped my hands when I realized what you’d made. Just perhaps.

How you keep coming up with these amazing ideas that are SO stinkin’ unique- is beyond me. Maybe it’s HH’s grandmother doing a little sprinkling of some creative fairy dust? You never know.

Off to go send this link to all my friends so we can ooh and ahh over it together.

04.February.2011

Loving the bright golden yellow, especially with the grayish, khaki in the rest of the room. I’m thinking of using that color scheme somewhere in the new house we’re currently searching for. On a side note, I’m a Steelers fan by marriage too.

04.February.2011

So creative! As you’re writing your DIY, I’m interested in why you chose glossy paint over matte – was it simply the aesthetic or is it also for function?

Your bedroom just might be my favorite ever. That barn door is amazing. Nice work!

AND GO STEELERS!

04.February.2011

Love the color and the design! Can’t wait for the tutorial.

LOOOOOVE it!! And I’m so jealous that your hubby pushes for color – mine is totally the opposite. It looks so fabulous, as does the rest of your home. Great job!

04.February.2011

wow, this is fantastic! i love the door, the hardware, the colour….

ps. my mom always told my brothers to XYZ (examine your zipper)

04.February.2011

Back home we use the phrase “looks like Kennywood’s open”. If there are any Western PA tweakers out there, they’ll appreciate that I’m sure.

04.February.2011

SO AMAZING!!! Can’t wait for the tutorial, since we were just talking about doing one in our master! We’ve got a regular old door, that swings open into our teeny tiny ensuite and hits us as we’re at the sink. Can’t wait to change it up.

04.February.2011

LOVE everything about this door and this room. Thanks for sharing! :)

AnaLisa

04.February.2011

Wow, that looks awesome! I love the yellow pop! Such a great color!

Oh yeah and GO STEELERS!

04.February.2011

This looks amazing – I especially like the view from inside the bathroom! Good job going for the bold colour, it really stands out against the rest of the bedroom and I LOVE the mustard yellow!

04.February.2011

Coming out of lurkdom to congratulate you on this GORGEOUS addition – it really makes the room!

Also, I’ve searched your site but can’t seem to find out where that fantastic blanket is from. Please spill!

04.February.2011

Wow, this looks great! Love the pop of color the yellow adds!

Love it. Pinned it.

04.February.2011

Brilliant! Another idea of yours where I just think “Why can’t my brain spit out ideas like that!?”

04.February.2011

LOVE IT! What a great pop of color. If you ever do get bored with it the color is easy to change. I have been wanting a barn door for a while to cover my pantry but now with our crown molding up may not work. Again, LOVE!

04.February.2011

I love it! It’s so happy!

04.February.2011

OMG! I lovity, love, LOVE your new door! We have a little ‘door problem’ in our master bath and I may have to borrow this idea from you! (Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all!) I was thinking of doing a pocket door, but this would be even better since I wouldn’t have to demo/rebuild a whole wall. Thanks for the inspiration!

04.February.2011

Love the door!!! It looks GREAT in your room:)

04.February.2011

I would have never thought of that in a MILLION years…it looks amazing. You both are so creative!

04.February.2011

FA-BU-LOUS! Love it and I love the direction you took instead of completely replicating your inspiration photo. Looks like your colour scheme is what I’ve been doing in my master as well (ehum, but your paint choices are way better than mine). We don’t have a master bath, so I’m wondering if this could work as our bedroom door…what do you think? Would that be too out there?

04.February.2011

!FANTABULOUS! I came across your blog about a week ago and can’t get enough of it – particularly this project with the barn wood. Start to finish it is art!

04.February.2011

Seeing this in my reader just brightened my day! I love the unexpected, and this is just that, but oh so stylin. I can’t believe anyone wouldn’t know that saying, I thought everyone said that. Oh well. Great job to your husband too!

04.February.2011

LOVE LOVE LOVE this door! Seriously I do! I cant say it enough! Do you mind if I put a picture of it on my blog? Of course giving your credit! I couldnt explain it and do it justice! Loving your room!
lsstuidorange.blogspot.com

replied on February 4th, 2011

Ladizzle – Link away!

LOVE this. Nice work!

04.February.2011

Wow. This is seriously incredible! We have what I call a hotel master bedroom where the sink is in a little nook outside the official bathroom and open to the bedroom itself. I would LOVE to do something like this. However, we don’t own power tools other than a drill and my hubby is not so handy.

This is brilliant! Love the pop of color!

04.February.2011

You definitely win for the best DIY for the year and its only February! Love it. Can’t wait for the tutorial. I love the way it looks from the bathroom into your room. The yellow is so striking. What a great color. Love your blog.

04.February.2011

Best project I think you have done! Great work!!

04.February.2011

Good Lawd, that’s a pretty room!! Love your fearlessness with color! So good!

Shannon Berrey Designs

04.February.2011

As I was reading this post, I was thinking … “Man, she is SO my hero …” UNTIL I got to the Steelers graphic — Oh no! Why do you have to be a Steelers fan?

Don’t worry … It’s not QUITE serious enough for me to stop reading (stalking) your blog. :) Have a super Super Bowl weekend!

replied on February 4th, 2011

Katie – I knew I’d probably catch some flack for that. But I can’t lie!

04.February.2011

LOVE the door! And we are definitely familiar with “your barn door is open”. haha

04.February.2011

I LoVE this door and your bedroom!!!! The sliding door it a great idea and it is the perfect pop of color for your room. I enjoy your blog posts!!! Keep up the tweaking…

wow!!!! Great job HH!

I am so envious!!! That door is gorgeous! And I love the yellow, it goes great with the colors in your bedroom! Such a neat, unique way to make your home, your own!

04.February.2011

Love it!! I love the mustard color.

Where did you get your curtains? (They are grey, right?) Thanks!!

replied on February 4th, 2011

Michelle – All about the bedroom curtains here….

04.February.2011

Great post! Very creative…and when I was reading, I wanted to tell you to ask your husband if Kennywood’s open…but then I saw his post. Happy Super Bowl weekend from western PA!

04.February.2011

LOVE it! Big kudos to the hubby for such good work AND pushing for color. You’ve got a keeper :)

04.February.2011

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I’m actually quite in love with your bedroom! The colors are fun and it’s so unique. I’ve got your barn door saved in my inspiration file to try out in my own room. Thanks so much for sharing!

05.February.2011

LOVE!
Love the color – everything –
I have been obsessed with Barn doors in the home for ages – and you have done so perfectly:)
Love all your “tweaking”

05.February.2011

As a ‘Burgh girl, I was totally going to comment about “Kennywood being open”, but Handy Hubby beat me to it. Love the door!! GO STEELERS!!

05.February.2011

Your bedroom is officially my favourite one ever. No lies.

05.February.2011

i LOVE this! amazing. and soooo glad you painted it. perfect.

i’ve actually hand this ‘idea’ in my project book for quite some time. do you have a resourse for the hardware system u used? where did you get it? cost?

i’d REALLY appreciated any information.

thanks!
info@visitoldcharm.com

replied on February 5th, 2011

Michael – All that info next week!

05.February.2011

I love this! We are wanting to do one of these in our house! I think the yellow is perfect! It goes great with the headboard, pillow, and the blueish gray color you are using. Great inspiration :)

05.February.2011

I was going to make the same comment.. I’m from Pittsburgh, and I’ve definitely never heard “your barn door’s open” but “Kennywood is open” is one I’m very familiar with.