10.09.11 / Bump in the Road

Surprise!

We’ve hit a small {baby} bump on the road to renovation.

Handy Hubby and I are unexpectedly expecting baby #3!

I couldn’t put more emphasis on the ‘unexpected’ part of that news.  As in, we were actively trying not to get prego.  I guess we weren’t trying hard enough.

I think my father-in-law explained what happened best when he said, “Tell god your plans and watch him laugh.”

Obviously, there is a larger plan for us.  It includes a smaller house and a larger family.  And while we’re still warming up to the idea of another baby, we’re up for the challenge.  This baby is unexpected but not unwanted.

Things just got verrrrrry interesting over here, didn’t they?!  And because I know any baby news always comes with tons of questions, feel free to leave your curious inquiries in the comments section below and I’ll post a special Q & A write-up on Friday.

What a way to start the week, huh?

FYI – Contrary to popular belief, that is not a can of Copenhagen in my front pocket.  I gave that up when I found out I was prego ;)  It’s my camera lens cover.

images:  all Dana Miller for House*Tweaking

Awesome! Congrats!

09.October.2011

Wow! Congratulations, Dana. What a great surprise! :)

09.October.2011

Congratulations!! Your smaller house will feel just a bit cozier now.

09.October.2011

I can not tell you how excited I was to read this post!!! My Husband and I are awaiting our unexpected but totally wanted #3. 37 weeks pregnant with our second sweet boy, but third beautiful child!!! Luckily for us, my Mom was ecstatic that we had a surprise and that helped me get over the shock. Please keep up with the blogging because I am an avid follower, but hardly ever comment! Your house is going to be so great with another set of pitter patter’s!

replied on October 9th, 2011

Leah – Thanks for your comment! I feel better knowing I’m not the only one!

09.October.2011

Congratulations! Where is this new little one going to bunk in the new house? When are you due?

I agree with the previous commenter, I’ve never posted before but I wanted to say that you are one of the first blogs I look for in my reader feed!!

Emily

09.October.2011

WooHoo! Congratulations. Life will throw curveballs won’t it? Well, of course we want to know when you’re due! You look great and those pictures are amazing too!

HUGE congratulations!!
very exciting news.
cheryl xox.

09.October.2011

AWESOME NEWS!!! You look fantastic, by the way. I am also awaiting our 3rd child (boy #3!), due Nov. 19th. I’m amazed that you have 2 kids…. 1 on the way….and are able to be so productive. I wish I could steal your secret!!! LOL

Yay!!!!!! Congratulations! :)

09.October.2011

I found out I was unexpectedly expecting #3 just 2 wks after my husband left fir a year in Iraq. Since my others were only 2 and 9 months, I was…stressed? in shock? in denial? It was an adventure, to say the least. I am now the wonderfully overwhelmed & blessed mommy to 3 beautiful girls (3 yrs, 20 mos, 4 mos) and wouldn’t trade it for anything.
P.S. God has laughed at my plans maaaaany times ;)

09.October.2011

Oh, and I can’t help but say– I’m STILL in shock that we’re having baby #3!! I kid you not. Totally happy about it, but just like you all, totally unexpected. LOL I don’t think the shock will wear off until I am getting up 3 times per night to nurse. ;-)

09.October.2011

Congrats!! You look gorgeous! Are you finding out the sex? When are you due (you can be vague)?

09.October.2011

You either weren’t showing or I wasn’t paying any attention when I saw you a few months ago that the vendor show!!! Congratulations! You look beautiful as always :-)

replied on October 10th, 2011

Jessica – We had just found out the night before the vendor show! Sorry, I was not ready to tell anyone…I think I was still in denial.

09.October.2011

Congrats! My sister in law and my brother recently found out they were expecting their 2nd but by surprise. It took them 2 years to get pregnant for their daughter and she’s only 11 months old now and they’re expecting in April. Oops! But we’re all excited, they only have a 2 bedroom so they will need to work on something there. I can’t wait to see what you come up with! I’m putting my guess in now…girl!

09.October.2011

You look amazing…all bump! You’re already so pretty and now you’re just stunning :) When are you due? Will you find out the sex? I can’t wait to see how you do the nursery.

I can imagine that adjusting to an unexpected pregnancy would throw one for a loop, but like you said, there is a plan. You guys are going to have a blast! Congrats!

09.October.2011

Congratulations! I love your blog and I am so happy to hear your news. Also curious to hear how you handle it all, you are one impressive woman!

09.October.2011

You sure make an adorable prego lady! ;) Congrats on the unexpected little bit of wonderful coming your way.

09.October.2011

Congrats!! Very exciting! What a little blessing.
Xo
Kelly

09.October.2011

so wonderful! many congrats to you!

09.October.2011

Super big congrats!!! What exciting news! We just had our 3rd baby and we live in a very small cape cod in eastern PA. It works because we make it work. We’ve been trying to do a reno because we only have 1 bathroom and no garage but we keep running into zoning issues with our township. But I keep reminding myself of something you said when you started out on your underdog adventure…something to the effect of…’we’re not looking for our dream home but a home in which we can pursue our dreams.’ This is a philosophy I need to adopt and you’ve been an inspiration in doing that. Your house IS big enough for all 5 of you, and like a previous commenter stated, it will be all the cozier. Wishing you all the best. And by the way, I am SO impressed that you’ve been keeping up on your amazing blog while being pregnant! (and we’re all so grateful :)

Congratulations!

09.October.2011

Congratulations! I just had my first and I love motherhood! It will be wonderful!

xo, Anna of (green gable)

Congratulations!

09.October.2011

your bump in the road could not be cuter ♥

09.October.2011

Congrats, Dana! What wonderful news! When are you due?

Aww congrats!! Best wishes to the entire family!

09.October.2011

Congrats! I will be the first to ask the questions! Do you know if its a boy or girl yet? When is it due? How excited are the big brothers?

09.October.2011

My niece also recently learned (more recently than you, it appears :)) that she’s prego with #3. Totally unexpected and unplanned. After my niece got over the initial shock (and took 4 at home prego tests to just make sure), they’re both very happy.

09.October.2011

I love your father-in-law’s saying, it is SO true. I had a 6 month old when we found out about our surprise baby #3. I spent an entire evening on the sofa crying thinking WTH. we were done, really done, like husband getting fixed in a few weeks done and I had just settled into a routine with my baby who i must mention had the most horrible newborn 3 months of colic and reflux which turned into us cosleeping. plus i was only back at work 3 months and here i had to tell them i was going to be doing it all again. Well, thankfully i had 9 months to prepare myself and it turned out to all work itself out and it gave me the opportunity to do what i’ve always wanted to do, work from home. Now I have a 4 and a 5 year old who are inseparable (oh and a 16yr old) and everytime my youngest makes me laugh or looks at me with her big brown eyes I know exactly why she came into our lives because i can’t imagine my life without her (and she turned out to be the best sleeper and easiest baby). i truly believe everything happens for a reason. Congrats!

09.October.2011

Oh my goodness! I just started reading your blog about a month ago and was seriously impressed with all you had going on, and now to find out you were doing it all pregnant- you must be super woman! :0) Congratulations! I have always loved the quote about God laughing as we plan, so, so true!

09.October.2011

BTW, since you’re open to questions, did you know about this baby when you closed on Underdog? Methinks maybe …

09.October.2011

Soo excited for you guys!!! Congrats!!!

09.October.2011

You are so adorable! I wish that I would have taken more pictures of me while pregnant. (I also wish that I looked as beautiful and cute as you do to!) Congratulations!

You are too funny! I had to look hard to see the lens cap!

CONGRATS!

questions:
1. how far along/when are you due?
2. do you know what you’re having/are you going to find out?
3. are you putting the boys together and making one of their rooms a nursery? or putting on an addition? or some other plan?
4. are the boys excited about a little brother/sister?

10.October.2011

oh, were I come from we have exactly the same saying. Congrats on the baby!!! That’s really very awesome. Are you curious if it is a girl this time around? :)

10.October.2011

Congratulations! Maybe it’s good your boys are getting used to sharing a room!

10.October.2011

congrats, so exciting. I have been following your blog for nearly a year now and have recently been inspired enough to start my own!
Can’t wait to hear about all your ideas and projects related to baby #3!

10.October.2011

Congratulations Dana – you look wonderful! I love how these little projects (babies) kind of run themselves. You’ll be able to trade progress updates with HH – eg this week you installed eyelashes and toenails… All the best!

10.October.2011

AHH!!! I did not see this coming, but it is soooo exciting! I cannot wait to hear all the updates and see how you work the underdog with an extra kiddo! I am impressed with how long you keep this a secret from the blog. So many congratulations!

10.October.2011

The smaller the house is, the more comfortable the nest is ! And how about a baby girl, that could be interesting too, and a whole new world for you !! What a challenge ! Wish you the best. (I’m the first of three girls…)

10.October.2011

Yay, amazing news, congratulations! I too want to ask when he/she is due and if you know which one you (and we your readers :D) are expecting. I’m also excited for the nursery design ideas etc. you’ll come up, as we will hopefully in the (not-too-far) future get to plan the same.

10.October.2011

Oh my gosh, I just had to get off my rear and comment at last to say congratulations! I LOVE your blog and how real it is.

I know you will find this baby will be the apple of your eye. Just relax and let what will be… be.

Congratulations to all the family!

congratulations!!!!!

10.October.2011

Congratulations!! We wouldn’t change a thing about our unexpected surprise x2…it was life-changing but we are so blessed. God had different plans for our family of four. I always planned two kids in my perfect little world. Now things are chaotic and we have totally outgrown our house but we wouldn’t change a thing. Enjoy this miracle. :)

10.October.2011

OMG! Life really is what happens while you’re busy making other plans! We tried to get pregnant for 6 years and eventually got there with IVF. 5 years later after more herbs, IVF etc. we gave up, happy with our perfect daughter. I think you know where this is going: bingo, baby number 2. All natural and completely unexpected, not to mention against the odds. At 43, I thought I was menopausal, not pregnant! Daughter number 2 is turning one next week and hubby and I are still pinching ourselves to make sure we’re not dreaming. So happy for you, it will be wonderful.

10.October.2011

Congratulations! Our #3 was an unexpected surprise too seeing as we were on bc and #2 was only 9 months old at the time! Once #3 joined our family I couldn’t imagine life without him. Hope you’re feeling well!

Love your blog and all the updates on the Underdog.

10.October.2011

Congrats, Dana…beautiful pregnant woman!!

10.October.2011

Congrats! I am excited for you and your family as this is a true blessing. Also…your sense of humor makes this my favorite remodeling blog! The crack about the snuff lid had me laughing for 10 minutes!

10.October.2011

yay! Congrats to all 4 of you! My parents had a very unexpected third after they downsized too…9 years later. BUT my youngest sister was such a wonderful happy accident! What’s life without a little unexpected adventure every now and then, right? What did the boys say when you told them?

So happy for you guys. You look beautiful

K

10.October.2011

Congratulations! I have been lurking on your blog for a long time but had to chime in. We too had an unexpected 3rd baby who has been such an amazing blessing! We had two girls and now have an adorable baby boy. I was so in the dark I didn’t realize I was pregnant until I was almost 9 weeks along!
We too live in a small house but it works (the toys for a 5 year old, 2 year old, and 8 month old can be overwhelming at times since they are all at different developmental stages and want different things….but we try to stay minimalistic and basic). I find that organization is the key to keeping the chaos at bay! We have the two girls (the 5 and 2 year old) sharing a room and they LOVE it. It is so cute to hear them sing and talk themselves to sleep and to play quietly in the morning.

Congratulations!!