11.05.13 / The Final Two

What day is it? I’m in over my head this week with other blog-related and nonblog-related obligations but I am determined to finish the front door.

door color 5

I knocked out the interior side of the door today. {It’s Benjamin Moore white dove mixed in Clark + Kensington primer + paint, semigloss…the same as these doors.} It was pure chaos and it took me all day to apply three coats of primer + paint. Remind me never to paint with kids in the house again.

First, our power went out and I had a hard time seeing what I was doing. Then the neighbor’s cat mistook the open front door as a welcome sign to come in and rub up on the wet {!} paint. He’s such a nice kitty. He was so confused. My tone of voice didn’t match my words at all. “Go on, kitty. No, kitty.” But I was using my nice “Here, kitty kitty…” voice. I couldn’t be mad at him. After all, I’m pretty sure he was the sole reason we didn’t have mice squeeze in through the gap at the bottom of the door last winter. The three coats went on very slowly. I decided I’m over painting doors. When I was finished and washing out my brush, Mabrey grabbed my wet roller and tried her hand at painting the entry rug in 0.2 seconds flat. While I was trying to rinse the paint off the rug, Mabrey stuck her hand in the wet paint on the drying door. Ugh, babygirl keeps me on my toes and makes my head spin!

So the interior side of the door is done. I’m halfway there.

ig door

I posted that picture on instagram this past weekend. I was trying out a paint sample for the door. The minute I saw it I knew it wasn’t the one. The majority of IG commenters agreed. It was too bright, too primary yellow. It was not the mustard I had in mind. So back to the paint store I went. I was looking for something with a bit more green and gold in it – a color that on its own might be considered “ugly.” I found it by way of Sherwin-Williams alchemy.

door color 3

It’s a muddy gold that looks right at home with our midcentury ranch. I had my spicy mustard but was curious about a moodier blue-gray. I decided to paint the other side of my foam board in Behr’s evening hush, the same color I used on the french doors at the back of the house.

door color 4

The darker hue is a nice contrast against the red brick and ties into the metal roof even though it isn’t an exact match. It also picks up on the composite slats we added to the planter from this post. My only hesitation is that the trio of square windows might get lost in the dark color from a distance. The windows read black and we plan on painting the narrow trim around them the same color as the rest of the door. {White trim around windows on painted exterior doors looks very “builder” to me.} Maybe peel-and-stick frosted window film would help accentuate the windows?

At any rate, HH and I are torn between the two colors. We love them each for different reasons.

door color 2

The gold feels welcoming and highlights the door and its design. It’s also a nod to some of the bright green-yellow shrubs and yellow roses in the landscaping. The gray feels like a safe, cohesive choice and probably represents our style better. It definitely gives the house a more masculine look from the road.

door color 1

As is, the exterior of our house is very linear and one-dimensional. The gold breaks it up and wakes up the entrance. The gray is a bit more sophisticated, somber even.

I like when the color of a front door is a clue as to what is happening design-wise on the other side. Both colors hint at what we have going on indoors. There are traces of mustard and gold in our living room, dining room and bedroom. Dark moody walls make an appearance in the mudroom and nursery and I will always be a lover of high contrast.

Ah! I can’t decide. Which color would you pick and why? FYI – Painting the brick is not an option. Our inspector advised against it due to the construction and climate. The paint wouldn’t allow the brick to breathe and we would be at risk of developing mold and mildew. No, thank you, but I still love me some painted brick.

Go for the gold!

replied on November 6th, 2013

I vote for the gray. Gives it a modern feel, will allow the door hardware to “pop” and is a great back drop to your landscaping. From a distance the gold fades away.

Also regarding the painted brick, have you considered staining the brick? Sarah Richardson did this to one of her remodeled homes and it came out really nice.

05.November.2013

I don’t know that the gold on the door would be enough to balance the big dark window of your living room. So, I’d pick gray and then do the vinyl window frost so the windows don’t disappear. If you still want more gold, I’d do it by way of landscaping.

replied on November 5th, 2013

… or gold house numbers!

05.November.2013

Personally I love the charcoal. But either one works. I can’t wait to see the finished product! I bought paint for my door that has been sitting and staring at me for the last two months. Thanks for the inspiration.

05.November.2013

I like the darker color, evening hush. I feel like the gold does not provide a big enough contrast. From a distance, it does not pop.

05.November.2013

I like the darker color!

05.November.2013

Gold. Gray is always the “safer” choice, but personally, I’m secretly tired of gray and playing it safe : )

And I love how green-y gold really plays into midcentury style!

05.November.2013

The gold. Absolutely. The gold says, “Hi, a fun, young family lives here, we’d love to have you over for a visit.”

05.November.2013

I like the darker color! It goes really well with the brick and more modern and better from a distance.

05.November.2013

I guess I’m a sucker for bright and happy because I love the yellow! It’s just such a cheery (yet still classy because it’s mustard) welcome for your guests. I’d go for that. :)

05.November.2013

I don’t think the gold allows the door to pop enough. I like the darker color but I could see something like a navy or something more bold to draw more attention to that gorgeous door (so glad u kept it!).

05.November.2013

Tough choice, they are both great options. I keep gravitating towards the mustard. I think you can’t go wrong whichever way you decide to go!

05.November.2013

I’d go with the gold, and do the trim around the square windows gold-or vice-versa!

replied on November 5th, 2013

OOPS! that’s gold with GREY trim, LOL

05.November.2013

Gold! You continue to inspire me to improve my place.

05.November.2013

Normally, I would totally go for the dark, moody color but for some reason I’m loving the mustard/gold! It’s the perfect ‘pop’ plus it was your first instinct!

05.November.2013

I am a huge fan of all things mustard, but I would go with the classic charcoal colour 100% in this case! I think gold house numbers as well as planters and plants would be great.

05.November.2013

I’d go with the gold. I like the dark grey too but I think at a distance it would make the door look the same as the windows.

05.November.2013

My “little yellow house” is a similar colour yellow so I say the Gold one. But I am a bit biased.

05.November.2013

I love the charcoal, because I like the contrast against the red brick. The mustard is nice, but it blends too much. BTW, just discovered your blog, and I love it!

05.November.2013

I am a sucker for grey, but painted my front door a dark color and it was very uninviting,. Ended up repainting it a brighter color. For that reason, I vote gold.

05.November.2013

I’d go with the gold – it picks up the gorgeous plant near the front door and stands out more from a distance. Good luck in making the final decision! Lisa xo

05.November.2013

i love the mustard, and i don’t even particularly like mustard yellow! (though maybe i should consider it for my front door, because i haven’t managed to convince my hubby to let me paint ours purple. (the colour is called dumbledore – what better than a literary pun? and it would look nice with our cream and green exterior.))

05.November.2013

I adore bright, fun doors so I vote mustard. And I agree about the windows fading away with the grey. They’re cool features that deserve a shout-out and I don’t think the darker hue would do that for them. Also, I love your blog. :)

05.November.2013

Ahhh, I’m torn now too! I’d say go for what feels good right now, and you can always change it down the road. I’ve had a black door, a red door, and now a blue door (all different front doors/different houses) and love each for whatever moment I did them in my life. But for you, I give a slight edge to mustard.

p.s. Love your new blog photo!

05.November.2013

Hmmm. I would go with the grey. Some would say thats boring, but I think it grounds the overall look of the house. I’m totally curious to see what you end up choosing! (You’re totally going with the gold, aren’t you?) :)

replied on November 6th, 2013

I seriously have NO IDEA!!! Wish I could make the door gold some days and switch it to gray on other days depending on my mood. Someday, someone will invite that kind of paint. Ha!

05.November.2013

It depends – do you want fun or sophisticated…Maybe paint one coat of gold and if you don’t like it the grey will certainly cover it up…I painted our front door recently and went with a greyish blue…Like it but it kind of disappears from the street…I am now tempted to go with something brighter…

Well now this is an interesting conundrum. Though this is totally against what I would normally do, in this case I say grey all the way. Though the mustardy yellow is cheery, the grey totally gives a much better hint as to what’s going on inside design wise to me. Its very much you to me. It is a little bit more masculine in nature, but I think it moreso says modern/refined/calm/polished which is completely what I take away from your homes gorgeous interior. I also think the yellow roses totally pop when paired with the grey. They kinda get lost against the mustard. Frosting the glass panes would highlight them perfectly. Good Luck with your decision. Its a toughie.

05.November.2013

I love the gold. Its the same color as my aunt and uncle’s early 60s ranch that my dad helped them build; its the current and original color. Its home-y.

05.November.2013

Gold, because I feel like the gray gets lost in the rest of the facade from a distance. And I don’t even like gold or mustard. The gray looks fine, but it doesn’t really “say” anything. The gold has more of a presence.

06.November.2013

So I’m as torn as the rest of you and couldn’t help doing a quick mockup to visualize this better, from sheer curiosity. Links below in case anyone else is interested.

Honestly, they’re both great colour choices. The gray is sophisticated and has already proven itself in the back of the house. I don’t think it will completely engulf the windows. The mustard is a touch unexpected and a little friendly, but a little more understated. Can’t wait to see what you choose! (Oh, and the white interior door looks great!)

Gray door: http://tinypic.com/r/rvdava/5
Mustard door: http://tinypic.com/r/dzju4i/5

replied on November 6th, 2013

Thanks for doing this Jane! It helps to see the colors on the actual door…still torn!…

replied on November 6th, 2013

jane, that is great… you get to see it and there is no cost and no work involved. BUT I have to say, I would NOW go back with the grey. The gold just didn’t do anything for me AT ALL. I wish I had known about this BEFORE I painted my entire house. The paint I chose is rich and beautiful BUT looks dull with my landscaping. House Tweaking will void all of my opinions (as I have changed my mind three times now) BUT that was a great way to see the results.

replied on November 7th, 2013

Seeing the mock ups is the only way to go.. I use photoshop all the time for this… after seeing the mock ups… no question..grey… they gold looks washed out and does not stand up to the rich brick color.

06.November.2013

They are both great colors. The gold would be happy and different BUT the grey would be safe and bold. I have done gold before and two years later I changed it up… it wasn’t as happy as I thought it would be, in fact, I would say it was a bit of a downer. Any way, I would go with the grey CUZ it is uniformed with the design of the house and the landscaping you have going on. I don’t think you will be second guessing yourself with the grey BUT if you go with the gold, you might be wishing you went with the safer color. Paint is so cheap though.. you could try the gold… it is the labor that cost us.

06.November.2013

Void that last remark… I just took another peak and the gold would be best!! I am not going to change my mind AGAIN…lol. Go with the Gold!!! The grey gets lost from the distance :)

06.November.2013

I say go for the gold. If you hate it, it’s only paint. No risk, no reward, I say!

06.November.2013

Dana, I’d go with the grey for sure! Mustard is probably my most favorite color ever, especially in design. But I just feel like you need something more substantial and modern (more bold?) against the facade/period of your mid-century ranch. The gold just blends a little and I would be scared that passers-by (who don’t look too closely) might just mistake your house for a dated period ranch, instead of the revived masterpiece with new modern life breathed into it that you all are creating it to be :) You can always add color with landscaping and porch accessories (a bright wreath, planters flanking the door, etc.). My vote is to go dark :)

replied on November 6th, 2013

…by the way, the interior of the door looks awesome! Love the feel of it with that almost industrial hardware. Love it!

06.November.2013

I’d go grey but I am clearly obsessed with grey at the moment. That said some nice gold-ish giant house numbers between your door and window would look tops. The grey would also show off the yellow of the flowers more – and any other colour you add to the space. The frosted glass is a good idea – I don’t know what product you have over there but you could experiment cheaply with different patterns by spray painting frosted glass paint (rustoleum have some) onto clear contact paper and cutting to fit. That way you could see the full frost or try stencils as well. X

06.November.2013

Personally I like the grey… sorry. I would definitely add the gold in accents. Maybe a big pot with flowers or gold house numbers like someone suggested.

However, that being said the way you wrote the post I definitely think you want to paint it mustard despite what you say about being torn. Its just paint. If you decide you don’t like it in the end you can paint it grey -you already have the paint. Plus it would be easier to paint over the mustard if it turns out to be a mistake than the other way around. I think it would make you happy to paint it mustard so do it.

06.November.2013

Dark because it’s classic, yet modern. Gold hardware if you prefer, and gold house #s or accents. Can’t wait to see which way you go!

replied on November 6th, 2013

…and while I too like painted brick, I think you’re very smart to stay away potential problem. Besides, it’s beautiful as is.

06.November.2013

The yellow/gold looks like such a happy color.

06.November.2013

GOLD. It will provide a focal point for the eye. Let me tell you why. Your house is very horizontal and long. You’ve got dark shapes (windows) already…I don’t think you need another dark rectangle added to the composition.

A lighter, brighter color (the gold you chose looks excellent, in my opinion), would be a welcome place to rest the eye…and since it happens to be your front door, it gives visitors/passersby a sense that you are welcoming them to your home.

06.November.2013

I’m going to vote gold. If you went with the dark grey, it would read the same as the house windows and seem like a “hole”. Plus, if you put frosted glass in the door, you’d have to re-drill the peep-hole!
I think it’s nice to have a front door that says welcome with a little pizazz, and I think a color would do that better than the dark grey.

06.November.2013

I would say the gold for a pop of colour, but it doesn’t seems to”pop” from a distance like expected. Maybe just paint it on and if it doesn’t work, there is always the gray to repaint with!

06.November.2013

I vote gray. Just not a fan of yellow with red brick. If you’re afraid of the 3 windows disappearing, could you paint the trim around the windows white to make them pop? I also think the gray would look so great with the hardware you have chosen too. Just my 2cents. :)

What about a red door?

06.November.2013

I still vote for the gold/ mustard! I think it just fits with the period of the house better and I wouldn’t want the three windows to disappear since they add so much character. The gray is lovely, but as many said probably the “safer” choice.

06.November.2013

The dark color. Cause I’d rather tie in the door color with the roof color, than with the brick.

06.November.2013

I like the dark, I think the high contrast is going to be so much more pleasing to the eye. I think you are going to end up doing the gold and then repainting to the dark grey. I just think it fits the architecture and your style better.

We’ve used the frosted window glazing before and we’re big fans. We have it in our garage to replace ridiculous curtains, it let’s in light, but still gives an immense amount of privacy. BIG fan.

06.November.2013

Mustard for sure! It’s such a happy colour and a real pop against the brick walls and grey roof. The grey (although it’s a sleeker colour) just gets a bit lost from the road. I think the yellow is more welcoming and cheerful too, the windows will look better. And it was your first choice!

06.November.2013

I like the gold. And if you choose it and regret it, it’ll be easier to paint over than black.

06.November.2013

Gold! You fixed the front door because it went with the house and I love it! I want to see those windows.

06.November.2013

I would go with the darker color. The light one looks a bit washed out next to the brick.

Go for the gold, Dana!