mabes

When Mabrey was two years old, her spunky personality blossomed. My dad started calling her “Mabes” (rhymes with babes) and “Mabers” (rhymes with neighbors). The playful nicknames felt less formal and, before we knew it, we were affectionately using them as well. To this day, we beckon Mabrey with “Mabes!” in casual conversation. Even the boys call her Mabes. As she grows older, more than likely she’ll outgrow the moniker but, for now, she seems happy with it.

When Everett (whose middle name is James) was born, we called him E.J. for a few years until one day he finally exclaimed, “I’m not E.J.! My name is Everett!” That was the end of E.J. I find it ironic that the nickname we planned for Everett didn’t stick, while the accidental nicknames for Mabrey have lingered. Layne has never had a nickname, mostly because his name is only one syllable.

Does your child have a nickname? Do you? Do you love or loathe nicknames? Our niece Savannah goes by Vannah, and I love it.

P.S. – A website chock full of unexpected nicknames.

image: Dana Miller for House*Tweaking

14.April.2016

Not personally (Being called Clare it never really lent itself to a nickname although one dear friend started calling me Clareio years ago and my boss calls me Clarey) but my middle name being Elizabeth meant my parents often call me Clare Lilybett..
My grandmother however (on my Dad’s side and very Irish) is Margaret, I am 26 and have never heard anyone call her that to her face, quite simply she is, and always will be Peggy. It seems a lot of the more ‘old fashioned’ nicknames are further away from the original names than more modern nicknames (if she was my age i’m fairly sure she would have been Maggie or Mags…

replied on April 15th, 2016

I have a funny story about nicknames for Margaret! My best friend’s grandmother goes by Peggy and we asked her 6 year old (at the time) brother what he though Peggy was short for and without hesitation he exclaimed, “PEGASUS!”

replied on April 15th, 2016

So funny!

replied on April 15th, 2016

Every Claire I’ve met gets called Claire Bear at some point.

Good morning!

We have a 2 year old named Henry – which at the time we thought NOBODY else would share his name because neither of us had ever met a Henry before. Flash forward 2 years and we know 6+ other 1-3 year olds named Henry. Oof.

I am not a fan of nicknames really but, in a hope to differentiate him from the other Henrys we’re surrounded by we started to call him “Moz”. His middle name is Morrissey (as in the singer of The Smiths) so we shortened even that and Moz has been sticking :)

So while I started out thinking my children would never have a nickname as long as I was living, we now have a Moz, Mozze, and Henry in our lives.

Good question!

replied on April 14th, 2016

I have a 2 year-old Henry too! How funny! We call him Henners most of the time. I don’t care if everyone has the name – it is just perfect for him! And I am sure you feel the same way!

replied on April 15th, 2016

We have a 10 year old named Henry. We named him that with the intention of calling him Hank….flash forward 10 years and he has never nor will he ever be a Hank. We call him Bubba (our middle daughter called him that when she couldn’t say Henry) or H-man or just H. Even after we thought we were soooooo original with the name Henry and now here it everywhere, I still love that name.

14.April.2016

Our daughter’s full name is Rilla (rhymes with Willa) Grace. We generally call her Rilla, but her cousin can’t quite say it and calls her Lolo. It’ll be interesting to see if it sticks!

replied on April 14th, 2016

I have to reply to your comment because our daughter’s middle name is Rill for my grandmother whose middle name was Rill for HER grandmother whose name was Rilla, but went by Rill. I’ve never known another Rill or Rilla, so I love that your daughter’s name is Rilla. :)

Interestingly enough, no one in my family calls me by my given name “Julia.” They call me Julie or Jules. Greta has never had a nickname, but we call Faye “Faye-Faye” (weird that we make it longer!) or Boo-Boo, which stems from everyone telling us she looks like Boo from Monsters Inc. And then once I made “Boo-Boo” shorter and called her “boobs” on accident and that was the end of that. Ha!

replied on April 14th, 2016

Boobs…LOL! And how have I never noticed that Faye has an unncanny resemblance to Boo?!

replied on April 14th, 2016

I just literally spit out my coffee. Love that.

14.April.2016

My daughter, Penelope, has SO many nicknames, some of which came about by little ones not being able to pronounce her name. Opie, Ploppy, Nelly, & Pineapple. My daughter, Amelia, has either been called Amelia or Mia (which is how Penelope said Amelia when she was 2). Turns out Mia is an actual nickname for Amelia. She also gets called, Rae, which is her middle name. I wanted my kids to use their full names (Penelope, not Penny, which I love but is my mom’s name), but I do like the idea of naturally developing nicknames!

replied on April 14th, 2016

Ploppy and Pineapple are too funny! Love your daughters’ names.

replied on April 15th, 2016

Our Penelope Rose goes by “Posey,” as her full-time name and she hates being called anything else. If we hadn’t planned on calling her Posey (which is a family name), I love Nella or Nell as a nickname for Penelope.

Our Phoebe was supposed to be “Pip” or “Pippa” around the family but so far she’s “Pheebs” or PJ most of the time.

replied on April 15th, 2016

We also call Posey “Birdie” bc for some reason as a baby we called her Posey Bird.

14.April.2016

I love Mabes, because we always call my brother Riley “Riles.” I’m Court to close friends and family–if one of them calls me by my full name, it’s usually bad news :)

My son is Jackson, who we of course call Jack (although he prefers to introduce himself as Jackson–Jack is reserved for friends and family only). He also gets J-Bone and Munchkin.

When I was pregnant with my daughter and we decided on her name (Eden), we thought for sure we’d call her Edie. We never have, not once. She gets Sweet Pea, Peanut, and Eden McBeeden. She’s just not an Edie at all.

14.April.2016

Interesting nobody in my family has ever really had nicknames. Not my siblings or anyone. My toddler daughter is named Ashby and hasn’t gained any nn yet.

14.April.2016

Funnily enough only our daughter has a nickname… probably because her name is the easiest to alter. Her name is Phoebe, but we usually call her Phoebes (Feebs) or Phoebe-Bee. We never really called our son Enzo anything else.

14.April.2016

This made me laugh because my daughter’s name is sadie, and we call her sades. Guess it’s not as unique as I thought it was!

14.April.2016

Love seeing all the nicknames. Mine would be H, Hales, or HaleStorm (which is a perfect combination of my full name). My daughter’s name is Cora Jean and I always figured we’d call her Coco or something if we knew another Cora, but right now we just call her Cor. Don’t bother trying to call her anything else because she will say something like “I’m not a baby (or some other nickname), I’m Cora!”

replied on April 14th, 2016

I have a cousin named Secora who goes by Coco, Cora or Corey. Then she married a Corey and we tried to back off of that one to save on confusion!
I’m Jaclyn, and I get Jacki, Jacs & Jac. Occasionally Jack-o-lantern from a couple of people. Noodle & Pickle from my family.
My husband is Richard III and goes exclusively by Ricky.
Nicknames are a funny thing!

14.April.2016

I’ve since long outgrown my nickname, but for many years my mom and dad called me peaches. It all started when I was born and the nurse put me in the clear bassinet at the hospital and loudly proclaimed that my teeny, fuzzy, baby bottom looked exactly like a ripe peach, lol! My dad proceeded to plant a peach tree in our backyard for me and call me peaches for MANY years.

replied on April 14th, 2016

I also forgot to mention that my younger brother is named Will (not William) and his nickname became Will-Pill. I have no idea how that started – maybe because it rhymed… He is now 21 and I still call him that sometimes much to his chagrin.

replied on April 14th, 2016

I love that your dad planted a peach tree for you.

14.April.2016

We all have nicknames! Mine was self-appointed. When I was 2 my Mom said,”Do you know your name?” And I said,”Ya.” And she said,”Welll?” And I replied with,”Sashie!” (My name is Cynthia). So Sashie it has been for 26 years.

My younger sister is “Snookie” or “Snook” and this was wayyy before the Jersey shore nonsense. So we’re Sashie and Snookie.

My baby sister’s name is Kelly and I nicknamed her “Krelk” shortly after birth and that has stuck as well.

14.April.2016

My name is Melanie – but almost no one calls me that except my husband (occasionally) and my Grandma (always) – my friends, co-workers – EVERYONE calls me ‘Mel’ or some knockoff of that. I get alot of Melly, Mel Mel, Mel-a-twee(my Mom), Melly Mel, Melbelle. I’m 30 and work in a professional environment and half those are from my co-workers. I love it though. It keeps things playful and fun and not too serious. I’m pregnant now and every name my husband I look at I ask ‘what could be the nickname for this?’ as I think the nicknames are almost more important. I bet that ‘Mabes’ sticks around (for a long, long time). I can see a boyfriend/husband using Mabes for sure :)

14.April.2016

My son’s name is Desmond and we call him Des or Desi, but at school he insists that they use his full name. His older sister is named Maëlle (rhymes with Noëlle) and we’d call her Majelly. People have tried calling me the obvious Julia nicknames such as Jules or Julie, but because of my spelling it never stuck.

14.April.2016

Growing up I assumed everyone had nicknames. I have aunts and uncles who’s real names I did not know until I was an adult. My sons name is Leo and we have a few nicknames for him, all of which are longer than his actual name! I guess we just use it as a term of endearment, like calling your spouse babe, honey, darling etc.

14.April.2016

My daughter’s name is Ryann and when she was a toddler she always referred to herself as Ry Ry, I think because she couldn’t pronounce her own name. We now have shortened Ry Ry to just Ry.

14.April.2016

My parents to this day will call me El (short for Ellie). They also would call both my brother, Aaron, and me by our Hebrew names (full name if we’re in trouble). I especially get called Shev for Elisheva…which I secretly love. Funny story…in the Old Testament Elisheva is only mentioned once, but it is mentioned she is the wife of Aaron, Moses’s brother. The rabbi never told my parents!!! I figured it out when I was about 10 and the look on my mom’s face was priceless!!

14.April.2016

My 13 daughter is named Maecy. People started calling her Mace. I hated that bc it reminded of the 90’s rapper. She now goes by Mae, which is my aunt and great-grandma’s middle name, so I love it.

When my 10 year son was born I wanted to name him Henry and made everyone promise not to call him Hank. But, a couple years ago he asked what the Henry nicknames were and I told him. He’s a baseball fan, and loves to be called Hank. Go figure.

14.April.2016

I come from a family of five and all but one go by a nickname. We were born in Romania and migrated to the US when I was very young, so I’m not sure if they came about because they were easier to pronounce or what. My brother Petru is Peter. We call my sister Maria by her middle name, Estera (which is actually more uncommon than her first name). My brother Mircea is Mitch. And they call me, Mara, Maggie.. which stems from my middle name Magdalena. But I spell it Magi, even though many people here pronounce that word different. You can always tell how the person knows you based on what they call you. Family calls you by your nickname. Friends/acquaintces call you by your given name.

14.April.2016

My youngest is Silas. When he was born his big brother had unclear speech so when he would say Silas it somehow sounded like “Hot Sauce”. And a nick name was born. We think it is hilarious.

replied on April 14th, 2016

Awesomesauce! Love it.

14.April.2016

We have Corinne and I always assumed we’d call her Cori for short–but more often than not, we call her ‘rinnie’ (rhymes with tin) or often simply ‘C’.

14.April.2016

I never did. Someone tried to call me Jenny and my dad was not happy. My nephew and nieces all have names from me. Tristan is “Boo” (which is short for kidderboo), Hannah is “Hanny hoodle doodle, my little noodle poodle” or “Hanny” and Julia is Julia-bear (her older brother calls her ‘baby girl’ which is super cute since he is just 4 years older than her). The twins Anthony & Blake have no nick name…I sometimes call them both “Bob” but they right away tell me that is NOT their name (they are 4) and the baby, Rylee, I call her “Chickaletta” because the kids all love Paw Patrol and it seems to suit her. Hannah told her teacher in Kingergarten that her name was Hannah Hoodle Doodle Rose E. Too funny!

14.April.2016

My family has called me Heathe (sounds like heth) for the last 43 years. They can’t seem to push out the “r” sound. :)
More recently, a bunch of kids in my old neighborhood started calling me Feather. The funny thing about this story is that they then began calling Winston, Mr. Feather. He was not impressed. LOL.

replied on April 15th, 2016

Mr. Feather, haha! One of our neighbor’s is Becky, but the first time I introduced Mabrey to her, Mabrey misheard Ducky and that’s what she calls her to this day. As if Ducky is a perfectly normal name. Our neighbor is elderly and a little hard of hearing, so she doesn’t even notice. Even if you aren’t hard of hearing, yelling “Hi Ducky!” across the yards sounds an awful lot like “Hi Becky!” All that to say, Becky = Ducky in Mabrey’s world :)

replied on April 19th, 2016

I love the nickname, Ducky! Adorable.

14.April.2016

We called our oldest son, Ian bugaboo as a baby which ended up being shortened to bugs and it has stuck with him. He’s almost 14 and I thought he would get sick of it but he still uses bugs in almost all of his usernames for online games. My sister in law called our youngest son Colin Collipop as a baby which lead to me calling him pop pop and at 12 we still call him some version of pop or pop pop.

14.April.2016

What a fun post! That picture of Mabrey is adorable!
Nicknames are such an interesting subject. Most of the grandmas in our family go by their middle name or a nickname of their middle name. Because of that I named my children what I wanted to call them rather than a variation on that. But a little friend of my daughter, Willow, would call her WoWo and we’ll jokingly call that occasionally.
I, of course, have had all the Jo nicknames- Jojo, Jojo bean, Jojo potato, sloppy jo. My best friend was also a “Jo”, so we were known as “the Jo’s”. (Hi, Joellyn!) When I was dating my husband, we played lots of Scrabble and jo is an important Scrabble word – it means sweetheart, so that’s been special ever since.

14.April.2016

My daughter’s name is Emerson and alot of people started to shorten it to Emmy. My husband then started calling her Emmy Lou and before we knew it we shortened it to Lou Lou or Lou. I usually call her Lou Lou most of the time and don’t think twice about it when we are around people that know her real name but not her nickname. They must think we are so weird to call her a name so far from her real name. If you ask her what her name is (she’s 3 1/2) she will say Emerson Lou Lou. Poor kid!

replied on April 16th, 2016

That is cute. :)

14.April.2016

My four-year-old daughter is Mabyn, and I’ve often thought of the similarity in our daughters’ names whenever I read your blog. Now I discover they are nickname twins! We very often call her “Mabes” as well, along with “Mabes-y” (not sure how you would spell it), and often just simply “Mae.” Her cousin calls her “Mae-Mae,” which sticks with younger kids. But no one calls her “Maeby,” ala Arrested Development!

replied on April 15th, 2016

I love Mabyn! I haven’t heard that one before. It’s so pretty. Yay for nickname twins ;)

replied on April 23rd, 2016

My daughter is also named Maebry (spelled a little differently of course) and we call her Mae. However, shortly after she was born her sitter began calling her Mae Mae and the nickname has stuck–but it suits her! I love that there are some other Mae Maes out there too:)

14.April.2016

Nicknames have always been a big thing in my world. I am one of seven kids and we all had several nicknames, from long and completely silly (one sister was called kranny annie rooster fanny for a very long time which has now shortened to kranny) to short and endearing (my aunt called me cindy soup and then soup for years and oddly it remains one of my favorites). My kids are all C names, so nicknames are almost a necessity to keep my sanity while trying to call my kids! My 3 year old went through a phase where she refused to be called anything but her first name. Even her middle and last were off limits! My youngest is Cosette, and we knew from the start we would call her Cosi (like cozy) and I love it. Last but not least, my husband is Christian, and every once in awhile someone will assume he goes by Chris, but he never has, and it doesn’t fit him at all. We can always tell someone doesn’t really know him well when they call him Chris!

Morgan: Mogie (Moh- Gee)
Hayley: Haye
Audrey: Otter
Oliver: O’Bear

14.April.2016

My son’s are Sam (Sam Sam, Sammers, but NEVER Sammy), and Griffin (Griff, Griffy, Griffers). My nephews name is Layne (he’s 1.5 yrs old) and we call him Layners! I don’t know how the adding “ers” to the end of all of their names came about but they’ve all stuck.

14.April.2016

When my daughter was little, she spent her days with her cousins. The oldest, a 2-year old at the time, couldn’t pronounce her full name, Mariana, and called her Mana. She is now almost 16 and we still call her that within our family.

14.April.2016

My name is Kristen, and I was always “Kris” growing up among my girlfriends. When I moved to a new town and got a new job, I decided to go by “Ten” instead. It’s a self-proclaimed nickname that I use professionally, and I prefer it because, to me, it’s more unique than “Kris.” Also, I know a lot of Kris/Chris/Cris’s, so it helps differentiate me in my sphere of people.

14.April.2016

I LOVE going by “Chey” (pronounced ‘shy’) but rarely introduce myself as such, and cringe when I write Chey and people pronounce is “Shay.”

My daughter is adopted and was named by her older birth sister (it’s a crazy, wonderful story) who always wanted a little sister named Gracie. So her name is Grace but we almost exclusively call her Gracie or GraceFace.

Liz
replied on April 16th, 2016

That story sounds so interesting. I’m trying to figure it out, but I can’t!

14.April.2016

I got called Alli when I was little and, like Everett, announced that my name was Allison and not Alli. To this day, I cringe when someone calls me that and I actually refuse to answer. My oldest, got a variety of nicknames that evolved – Alexis, turned into Alexa-ma-ta-tus, which turned into Tatus, which sometimes became Tator Tatus. It’s so funny how these things come about!

14.April.2016

I could write a 5000 word essay on nicknames in and around my family, but I’ll just hit the highlights:

In my husband’s family, the first child is a son named James. Always, for 10 generations. They get their own middle names. When I was pregnant with the next James, we decided on Xavier for a middle name because he’s the 10th James (and that was the only X name we could think of). When we ran it by my BIL for approval, he loved it and said “We can call him Jax!” And so everybody has since he was born.

My Daughter is Diana Karel, and I have always thought of her as DK in my head. This turned into “Deek”, “Deeker,” “Deeker-doodles,” or “Deeky-deeky-chicken-sleeky.” The older kids in town (age 10 through high school) and many of the adults all call her “Deeker”.

Daughter- Khloe- call her Khloe Bear
Son- Gunner- call him Gun Man

14.April.2016

We name with the intention to nickname–I love nicknames! Our oldest is Elna (named after my mom) nn Elle. Harriet, nn Hattie. Georgia nn Gigi, Gig, Georgie. With each we use nicknames as much as we use their given names. What a fun post! Loving the comments!

14.April.2016

My daughter Eleanor is always called Nori except by teachers.
I thought my son Truman would be called Tru, but he rarely gets called a nickname. His cousins sometimes call him T-man.

14.April.2016

ah nicknames. I NEVER ever had one, until one of my younger nieces couldn’t pronounce erin, it was the e that made it hard. then it evolved to rin-rin. I’m psyched that i have a nickname!!! always wanted one! My younger sister’s name was Rebekah, we always called her Bekah for short, which she hated, and if we’re just talking via text or email, we type bek (i know she hates it!) but it’s so much faster. However if i’m addressing her in a christmas card or something, it’s always Rebekah.

replied on April 15th, 2016

My sister Jeannette shortened her own name in written format to jnet to save time. I spell it out because I like it better that way. When we go to restaurants, events, etc. where they call your name, we all listen hard for how they are going to butcher her name, then call her that for a few weeks!

14.April.2016

I’m Sam (short for Samantha) — always have been. “Samantha” just feels so formal to me. My husband is Brian which doesn’t lend itself to any nicknames. Our son’s name is Parker but we call him “PK” (there’s a NHL player named PK Subban) or “Bud.” His middle name is Joseph but I hate the sound of “PJ.” It’s on par with someone calling me “Sammy.” Ugh.

14.April.2016

My family is big into nicknames, and I love them when used by family (but not by anyone else!). To this day (I’m almost 40 years old) my parents still call me Lizie (pronounced with a long I) and a friend of the family who has known me forever calls me Liza Leigh Fortune Cookie. My brother Noah grew up with Paco, Curly, Nogenberry, and Noguchi. My son Cooper is Coop and my son Kaden is KJ, Kade, K, or as my husband refers to them both: Dude. Oh, and lest I forget my husband’s affectionate moniker for me: Hey You. ;-)

14.April.2016

One of my cousins has almost always called me Pooh (my grandma always called me Meggie Pooh so that was his shortened version of my grandma’s nickname for me I guess). He occasionally called me Poopers, which I never thought anything of, until one of my friends heard him call me that when I was in high school and laughed about it, but I guess it is a bit strange to call someone Poopers! lol

My husband Willy goes by a name completely different from his real name (Rodolfo), as do most of his 9 brothers.

My oldest daughter is Abigail, but we mostly call her Abi, or Pichi (shortened version of a word that means “little thing” in my husbands first language {Mayan}). Our younger daughter is Emery, but we mostly call her Emy or Emerald.

So I guess we are a nickname kind of family. :)

14.April.2016

My little girl is Olivia Finch. Before she was born we called her Ollie Finch all the time. Something happened once she was born and she immediately became Livvie to me. I wasn’t expecting that. So now Livvie has become Livvie Lou, which has become Lu… and sometimes Lula. A term of endearment in our family is stinkpot. So the dogs, Livvie, anyone I love could be called stinkpot at any time :)

14.April.2016

My name is Cynthia but I’ve always been Cindy. I cringe when people use my real name because it feels so formal and I am so not formal. My father-in-law always called me Cinder and my aunt has always called me CindyLou. My roommate in college called me Nightmare. haha!

14.April.2016

When we were pregnant with our son, my husband absolutely insisted that we give him a name with a logical nickname (my husband’s name is David, but he’s always gone by Dave to friends, he was Davy when he was little, and his brothers still call him Vid). So we named him Calvin, which my husband thought we could shorten to Cal (I’m not fond of it, but it’s better than the nickname the uncles came up with… Vin!). Now, Calvin is 2.5 and if anyone calls him anything but Calvin (Calvie, Cal, Pumpkin) he adamantly insists, “No! I’m Calvin!” which I couldn’t be happier about ;-)

My daughter’s name is Amelia, and we thought we could call her Amy or Mia, although I think I still prefer Amelia to either nickname. My son calls her “Baby Melia” and honestly that name is sticking more than any nickname we might pick!

14.April.2016

I do not have kids of the human variety but my canine furbaby has had a million nicknames – Pickles, Piggy, Lady Sniffington, Madam PeePeePants and several more that I am forgetting. Her name is Frances. :)

When I was growing up my best friend and I had nicknames for each other and they were so strong that our family called us by them, as well. She was Ruey, I was Beagles. (Her name was Robin and mine is Abigail, so they were inspired by those)

14.April.2016

Our daughter’s name is Beatrix, but thanks to a song that she responded especially well to as a baby (Elizabeth Mitchell’s “Little Bird”), we nicknamed her The Bird, which has since morphed into Birdie, Sweetiebird and Birdo. Nearly all her loved ones call her Birdie or Bird.

And now I have typed “Bird” so many times, it looks like a nonsense word.

14.April.2016

The nickname thing is a sensitive subject for me. My given name is Kristina, which I love. But somewhere along the way my twin sister started calling me Krissy. It caught on like wildfire and now the only person who calls me Kristina is my Grandma. It isn’t that I don’t like Krissy– I loved it when I was younger. But now that I am older and a professional, it doesn’t feel right. I have tried to go back to Kristina, but it is awkward to try to switch it back in your late 20’s.

replied on April 25th, 2016

I hear you! I was born Emily and always had other Emily’s in my classes. So in High School my friends all started calling me Emma (my family calls me Emma, Emmy, Emmerz, Em, my youth group leader called me Mirv). College came around and it was easier to introduce myself as Emma rather than wait for people to come around to it. And that continued into my professional career.
Long story but I married someone who knew me in high school. So my Adult years had turned me into Emma and he calls me Emily. It was so sweet! So now i’m this weird blend between Emma and Emily as I start new adventures, but I like it. And i’m glad to be Emily again. I’m Aunt Emmy to my nieces and nephews as I Loathe Auntie Em

My sister Elizabeth was nicknamed Lizza (short I) by my mom, and called Liz by everyone else. mom didn’t ever really like it. Liz moved cities and jobs and has made an effort to be called Lizza instead. It’s interesting. I’ve taken to calling her Bif again and she calls me Merz. she goes by Aunt Lizzy to the kiddos. My other sisters are Alicia (Aunt Alicia, Leash for short, Eeshla) and Lori Jean (LJ, Jeanie, Aunt Lo)

14.April.2016

Our oldest daughter is Emily, and we call her Em, sometimes I’ll call her Em and M (like the candy), and her 2 year old sister calls her Emmy, which I love. Our youngest daughter is Lauren and one day Lauren Lou popped out and it’s kind of stuck, but shortened to Lou Lou or just Lou. I love their nick names.

14.April.2016

An interesting topic, for sure! I’m Katherine, but my parents made sure my formal name was used growing up. To this day, if someone other than my family calls me Kate I cringe, but I love when my family calls me Kate. I loathe Kathy!!
My daughter’s name is Seraphina Katherine and my favorite nickname for her is Nina Kate. She also goes by “Phina”.