The Underdog’s original 1950’s master bathroom had an elephant color scheme going on – flesh pink and gray. Some of the shower tiles were fractured allowing water to seep into the wall. To keep costs down, we kept the layout of the room the same, kept the shower window placement and reused the toilet which may have been the only thing ever upgraded by the previous owner.

We gutted the room to the studs, had the electric upgraded {as well as throughout the rest of the home} to today’s standards and replaced all finishes and fixtures {minus the toilet as mentioned above} which included a new vinyl window.

From a renovation standpoint, we’re saying this room is D-O-N-E.

I spent all day Saturday scrubbing the bathroom clean. It was a 38-week-pregnant lady’s nesting dream! I used my favorite Mrs. Meyer’s all purpose cleaner mixed with water in a spray bottle to remove chunks of stray grout and drywall mud throughout the bathroom. It worked like a charm. Plus, it smells delightful and isn’t harmful to me or baby. It may have taken me longer than usual considering my condition but it felt so good to get at least one – albeit small – room in order at the Underdog.

We now have a proper place to use the bathroom and wash our hands. Before, my guys would ‘go’ in the backyard and we had to wash our hands with a dirty bar of soap at the outdoor spigot. We’re movin’ up!

Let’s take a tour, shall we? Starting with the shower…

We replaced the window, tub, shower fixtures and tile surround. We took the shower tile all the way to the ceiling to make it feel taller and airier. If you look back to the ‘before’ pics, you’ll see that the original shower tile only went about two-thirds of the way up the walls.

The new vinyl window has texture on the inside of the pane {you can’t feel it from the shower side of the glass…it’s in between the double panes} for privacy.

Here’s the view to the backyard from the window when it’s open. Yeah, the backyard could use some love. We’ll get there.

Back inside, we replaced the shower and tub fixtures.

We replaced the old gray tub with a deeper, sleeker white one.

My favorite feature of the tub is the one-click drain stopper. You can easily open and close the drain with a tap of your toes. This is high society stuff for us, people!

The shower tile sparkles like glitter and reflects the natural light pouring in from the window.

Contrary to popular belief, it wasn’t difficult to clean at all. The textured surface doesn’t have grooves and crevices deep enough to hold tons of grime. I just used a microfiber cloth to wipe it down.

Moving right along from the shower/tub to the toilet…

There’s nothing special about this toilet. It’s the one that came with the house. All it needed was a good scrub-down.

HH removed it for the floor install and carried it out to the front yard so I could hose it down. Now, wasn’t that a sight?! An obviously very pregnant gal bent over a dirty toilet in the front yard! I’m pretty sure I scared some neighbors and passerby. I did have to resort to some Comet with bleach to get this bad boy looking like new. But I was outside and wore cleaning gloves to avoid harmful chemicals.

She shined up pretty nice if I do say so myself.

Enough of the commode. Let’s have a peek at the vanity area.

I like a little contrast in every room, so here I chose a glossy medium gray vanity. This portion of the bathroom is highly visible from the master bedroom, so I tried to keep the distinctive bathroom features {vanity, sink, faucet, mirror and light} from feeling too bathroom-y…if that makes any sense.

The vanity isn’t huge by any means but it’s simple and practical. The floating design keeps the room feeling light and makes cleaning underneath a breeze.

There are two deep drawers for hiding toiletries.

The faucet is simple too.

It doesn’t look like much but it puts out a steady flow of water without splashing outside the sink.

Above the vanity, I chose a round teak mirror to add some warmth and curves to the shiny, rectangular bathroom.

Just above the mirror is a galvanized wall sconce. I like the touch of industrialism it brings to the room.

I should probably switch out the lightbulb for a clear one but we’re just happy to have a light at this point!

I like the light just as much on. It really warms up the wood mirror and wall color.

At night and in the early morning hours, this is what the bathroom may look like under artificial light…

Onto the penny tile floor…

While the shower got standard white grout, I chose a sandy gray grout for the floor in the hopes of it hiding dirt a little better. The penny tiles give such a great texture to the bathroom. They’re almost like scales on a lizard.

It feels good under bare feet. If you have a keen eye, you may have noticed the new baseboards in all these after pics.

HH and I decided to go with a thick, high trim throughout the house. The higher trim has more presence and actually makes the walls feel taller somehow – which we weren’t expecting. It’s more noticeable in larger rooms. Hopefully, I’ll post some pics of those rooms this week!

As soon as the bathroom was clean, I took a break to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

I could live in this bathroom and be very happy. Okay, maybe I’d need a little more than a bathroom. But still. I love this bathroom.

Like I said, from a renovation standpoint, this room is done-zo. From a design standpoint, it still needs some work. Here’s what’s left to do:

• touch up the walls and trim
  • hang shower curtain
  • add towel hooks
  • find a spot for toilet paper roll
  • add hanging storage to the back of the door
  • uh, hang the door!
  • organize the vanity drawers
  • accessorize

So, I have my tweaking cut out for me. Should be fun! Since I know I’ll get questions, here’s a source list:

*Denotes items that were kindly donated to us by the companies linked to above. We were not forced to include certain products. While we were permitted to choose items in exchange for photos and links, we only used items that we would have chosen to purchase with our own money. That means the items you see are ones that meet our aesthetic, budget and level of quality.

And because I know there are a few of you who could care less about the bathroom and just wanna know “Is that baby here yet?!”…

Nope. Even after a very physical weekend full of intense cleaning, baby hasn’t made his/her appearance yet. I know he/she will come when they’re ready but I’m this close to crying ‘uncle!’

images: all Dana Miller for House*Tweaking

27.March.2012

bathroom looks fanfreakingTASTIC! I love it all, and I want your shower tile for our main bathroom redo which will hopefully happen sooner than later.

27.March.2012

Wow, it’s gorgeous! I love the materials you used.
We’re planning on buying the same vanity+sink from Ikea (though a bit bigger) but I was worried about the shallow depth of the sink, so thanks for pointing out a faucet that won’t cause splashes.
(And I was sooo sure the baby had arrived already! Guess I was wrong :D)

replied on March 27th, 2012

Ainhoa – I, too, was worried about the depth of the sink. I don’t know if it’s the sink, the faucet or the combination but there is no water sloshing outside of the sink. Not a problem at all!

27.March.2012

Beautiful bathroom and beautiful mama to be!! Yay for an almost move-in ready house :)

27.March.2012

I love the way the bathroom came out. Congratulations on your underdog, and your soon to be new addition. I just wanted to say I could not find a toilet paper holder I liked, and went with a very thick clear cylinder vase which holds 2-3 rolls of toilet paper. I kept looking for just the right one, and ended up finding a perfect one very heavy and thick clear glass at a thrift store. It just looks very clean and a little clever.

replied on March 27th, 2012

Lisa – So funny you should mention the cylinder vase. That’s the way I’m leaning since there’s not a great place to put a toilet paper roll hanger. The obvious place would be to hang one on the side of the vanity but I don’t want to because then you’d see it from the bedroom. I’m thinking a cylinder vase on the floor in between the vanity and toilet would be okay…and hide the toilet’s plumbing!

27.March.2012

Wow. It really looks phenomenal, and makes me excited to see your house transform over time. I never would have thought to use the shower tile you did, and seeing it blows my mind. Hope you get to enjoy some soaks in that tub after baby arrives! :D

27.March.2012

Hi, this is Paola an Italian girl living in High Desert ,Ca.
We just bought an old house,it’s 1960’s and we’re ready to start with our renovation project.
I have some questions about you old floor: was it a vinyl tile floor? If,yes, did you check that vinyl? I know in the 1950’s/1970’s houses you could find asbestos in vinyl tile .
You did a great job with your bathroom ,it looks fresh and I like the galvanized sconce!!

replied on March 27th, 2012

Paola – We had the entire house {air, paint, insulation, finishes, etc.} professionally tested for lead, asbestos, radon…everything really…since we’re bringing kids into the house to live long-term. The tile in the bathroom did contain traces of asbestos so HH used a wetting method along with full-body coverup gear and a respirator to remove it from the house. The kids and I stayed away for a while. Great comment/question!

The bathroom looks fantastic. As much as I love penny tile (used it myself), I think the mirror/lightfixture combo is my favourite aspect. Gorgeous.

27.March.2012

I LOVE the shower tile so much! It’s beautiful! The whole bathroom is amazing, seriously. Can you re-do ours?!

27.March.2012

You look wonderful; your bathroom looks wonderful! It’ll be fun to see what kind of interesting shower curtain you choose- you have so many options with your color scheme.

27.March.2012

I love it. I can’t wait to see more updates.

Love, love, LOVE the bathroom. Especially in the last shot. It just looks so crisp and clean. I can see exactly why you want to live in there. :) Can’t wait to ‘meet’ baby!!

27.March.2012

You might want to check Target (of all places) for a toilet paper stand. I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice one that complements our bathroom, which has no wall roll holder nor a place to put one.

27.March.2012

I love the bathroom redo. I have the same tub and I love how deep it is for baths without being to high to step into. You are gorgeous pregnant and after cleaning.

27.March.2012

Gorgeous! I love how it all turned out! :)

27.March.2012

It looks wonderful! My fav element (so hard to pick, though!) is the mirror. I can’t wait to see all the little lovely details. p.s. Cute nail color! ;)

27.March.2012

You look beautiful….and the bathroom looks nice too!

27.March.2012

Gorgeous bathroom!! I’m so jealous!! Can’t wait to see the finishing tweaks! :)

27.March.2012

It looks FANTASTIC!!!! I’m so in love with both of your tile choices. Can’t wait to see it after you’ve worked the rest of your tweaking magic.

27.March.2012

Beautiful bathroom, and even more beautiful mommy! I hope I look 1/8 as good as you when I’m pregnant! :)

27.March.2012

Love the gray/white of this bathroom. It looks so clean, but also warm. The tub-surround tile is so sparkly and beautiful, it leaves me in a trance… And while the teak mirror seems a bit odd (at first glance) in such a gray room, I love it! I’m excited to see what other colors and natural and/or industrial elements you include.

Oh, and I have to admit — I’ve been checking your blog multiple times a day waiting for updates on Baby Miller! I hope when he/she finally arrives, you won’t keep us waiting too long to ‘introduce’ us to your new addition! :)

replied on March 27th, 2012

Stacy – As soon as HH lets me get my hands on my laptop after baby is born, I’ll make the announcement. Promise!

27.March.2012

Congratulations! The bathroom is beautiful! NOW the baby can come : )

27.March.2012

It looks great. Very modern style.

27.March.2012

I’ve never really wanted a floating vanity up until a couple of months ago when our toddler decided she is big enough to now carry my kitchen stool into the bathroom and wash her hands when ever she likes which is not initself a bad thing I just wish I would stop stubbing my toe on it when I go in the bathroom because there is no room to stow it. Yes I remember 38 weeks well my ankles were so swollen it looked like I strapped on grapefruits sometimes. You look wonderful though.

27.March.2012

Very nice indeed but as Stacy mentioned it above, I’m looking forward to seeing what accent color you picked. My new bathroom is white/off-white/gray/black and I wanted to go with a bright pink but my NHH (not-handy-hubby :)) said it was too girly so I think we will go the turquoise route.

27.March.2012

Soo jealous of your bathroom! It looks awesome.

27.March.2012

Wow, Dana, it looks amazing- I am so excited for other rooms to get finished, I know the whole place will be stunning!

27.March.2012

The bath room looks gorgeous! I live penny time and the tile in your shower is to die for. Speaking of gorgeous, you ARE so gorgeous! I keep checking back to see if she/he has arrived!

27.March.2012

Your bathroom looks AMAZING! You did such a great job of choosing everything and it all comes together so great. Perfect!! Our house is very small and it leads me to ask, do you think you will ever decide to add a cabinet or shelves above the toilet for storage, or do you have enough storage in the rest of the house to not need it?

replied on March 27th, 2012

Leslie – I guess we’ll see what we end up needing in the long run. For the most part, we don’t have a lot of stuff – toiletries or otherwise. I’m in a constant state of editing with 2 {almost 3!} kiddos. I do plan on adding some storage on the back of the bathroom door as soon as we move in.

27.March.2012

Love it! I have to admit, I was really surprised that that vanity wasn’t more expensive. I love that look. And, you look beautiful!

Wow- I love it! We are currently in the middle of our bathroom remodel (the third in one year), so these photos are giving me hope for the after. So thank you, because I need a little hope right now. I have this messy during stage! http://oneprojectatatime.blogspot.com/2012/03/putting-walls-back-up.html

replied on March 27th, 2012

Erin – Keep your head up! Our other bathroom looks worse than yours!

27.March.2012

Love the bathroom and even more so love that you matched the bathroom. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

replied on March 27th, 2012

Kimberly – I didn’t even notice I matched! Well, they say if you use your wardrobe as a springboard for decorating you’ll never go wrong.

27.March.2012

lovely! my fav. has to be the sparkly tile, it’s so “posh”.

don’t overdo it in these next few weeks!

Carole.

ps. is it just me, or is it unusual to have a heating vent right next to the tub like that?

replied on March 27th, 2012

Carole – Yeah, I don’t know about that vent. It’s the original placement and since we weren’t into jackhammering through the slab to redo all the ductwork, it stayed in its original location. I still want to replace the vent cover though.

27.March.2012

Great job on the reno! I just wanted to chime in to say that we used the same vanities in our kids’ baths and the layout is the same as yours. We screwed the TP holders (we used IKEA Savern ones) to the sides of the vanities. It’s only been a month but it’s been great so far! HTH!

27.March.2012

I’m going to go ahead and say it…i think you should do an industrial sliding barn door again! Loved it last time, would work great again!

This.

Is.

Amazing!

It’s modern, without being too sterile and cold. The tile in the shower is gorgeous – I might need to find it for future use in our house. Bravo!

Congrats! Beautiful renovation, top to bottom. Very nicely done!

27.March.2012

Wow, the bathroom came out great. Love that vanity and the penny tile. I also was sure you had had the baby since you had not posted in a few days. I am positive it’s a girl because of the false labors and now so quiet.
I found a heavy acrylic tall vase that holds 3 tp rolls at TJ Maxx for under $9 (I thought it was glass til I picked it up). I don’t know if you have a TJ Maxx where you live, but it might be worth checking out. I’ve also seen baskets (both wire and natural materials) and buckets used (by Sarah Richardson in some of her house re-dos).

27.March.2012

Gorgeous – both the Mum-to-be and the bathroom.

27.March.2012

Beautiful! I love that penny tile and you match the bathroom so well. I know what you mean about living in it – there are few things more refreshing than a new, clean bathroom. Looks great! Have the baby tomorrow on my birthday.

27.March.2012

By the way, there is a good old wives’ tale if you really are ready to have the baby and it worked for me. I’m not going to shout it out to all the world, but if you ask, I’ll tell. It is one of my favorite “birth stories” from my own children’s births.

replied on March 27th, 2012

Deborah – I’m all ears!!

27.March.2012

Awesome job! The bathroom looks great! I like how the mirror balances out the vanity.

I just thought of you today, wondering if baby had come. I’m excited to hear if it’s a boy or girl! (We didn’t find out with our first, and I loved it.)

The bathroom looks beyond fabulous! I adore your style! And I think the penny tile and sparkly shower tile puts the whole room over the top. Great work also to HH!!

27.March.2012

Bathroom looks great and so do you! Can’t wait to see the baby though! :) Every time I don’t see you post for a day or two, I wonder, did he/she come?!?!

27.March.2012

I’m with Crystal, a barn door would be sweeeeeet.

27.March.2012

Wow..just the kitchen left and your ready to move in :) !! Great finishing job on the bathroom…very sleek and chic!!

It looks awesome! The vanity looks much bigger when you are standing next to it. For some reason it looked tiny in pictures. You look great BTW.

One question: Do you have an exhaust vent in the room? If not I’d consider adding one especially if the room will get heavy use. You can add an inline fan with light right where your light over the tub is with a light fan combo that looks almost identical. We did that with our FanTech inline fan and we love it! So much sleeker and quieter than a normal bath fan.

replied on March 28th, 2012

Robin – We did in fact add a ventilation fan with the upgraded electrical. It’s just a standard separate fan. Our electrician wired for it and HH installed it himself. Along with opening the window, it should keep our bathroom from staying too humid after showers/baths!

28.March.2012

The bathroom looks great! The hard part is done, and now you get to have fun decorating it. I still love that mirror! Pregnancy agrees with you. You look amazing.

28.March.2012

Hey Handy Hubby, since you’re reading – and commenting – you guys did a really nice job in this bathroom ! Take care !

28.March.2012

great makeover Dana. you and handy-hubs make a pretty super team.
all the very best for the upcoming weeks ahead.
cheryl xox.

28.March.2012

Looks fantastic. I love the shower tile especially – the way the light reflects off it is beautiful!