08.18.14 / I Drink Coffee Now

coffee

When I was noticeably pregnant with Mabrey, strangers would ask “So how many does this make for you?” When I answered three, I would sometimes get the “oh, I love the dynamic of three!” from all-knowing parents of three. But I was surprised by the reply I most often received…

“Ohhhhhhh, I started drinking coffee after number three.” And then they would nod their head slowly as if remembering something they hadn’t thought of in a long time.

I get it now. I drink coffee now.

I had always enjoyed a cup of coffee here and there. In college, I would occasionally grab a cappuccino for late night study sessions. Before Mabrey, a hot cup of jo was a special after-dinner treat on chilly nights. But I never drank it regularly until Mabrey was about a year old. I started out drinking a cup maybe once or twice a week in the mornings, usually on the weekends. Eventually, I really looked forward to those rare cups. I would purposefully wake up earlier than everyone else on coffee mornings to sip my joe in peace and quiet. It made for some good me time and gave me a chance to mentally prepare for the day ahead.

Fast forward to this summer. It turns out, I need more than one to two mornings of me time per week! I’m drinking coffee almost daily now. Just one 8-ounce mug. For me, it’s more of a mental – rather than physical – ritual. I don’t get headaches or fatigue on the random days I miss my daily cup. But I do cherish those quiet moments. They are little slices of happiness that set the tone for the rest of my day.

I recently read an article in Real Simple magazine that discusses happiness. Here’s what one contributor had to say:

“…I really believe that happiness is a collection of small, pleasurable experiences, like buying flowers or eating a square of chocolate. I try to have a few of these moments every day.” – Anne-Marie Slaughter

I couldn’t agree more. Does coffee itself make me happy? No. But having that pause before the chaos of the day sets in is what really does it for me.

So here’s my question to any coffee drinkers / snobs out there. What coffee do you drink and how do you brew it? Currently, I have a Keurig that my bonus mom gifted me earlier this year. To save money, I have been using a reusable filter cup and inexpensive ground coffee but I’ve been bouncing around from brand to brand and haven’t really fallen in love with a particular brew. Seeing as how this coffee thing is such a big part of my happiness (ha!), I’d really like to make it special. I’m open to other methods of brewing as long as they don’t yield a whole pot of coffee (I’m the only coffee drinker in the house) and aren’t super involved. I’m not opposed to grinding beans – whether at home or in-store. A few years ago while on vacation, I had coffee brewed in a french press and it was AMAZING. I’ve heard wonderful things about Chemex but, I’m not gonna lie, it looks intimidating. So, please, for the sake of Monday, spill the (coffee) beans and let me know what you’re drinking and how you’re brewing it! Thanks!

18.August.2014

I’m not a fan of the Chemex – by the time the coffee is ready, it’s too cold for my taste. I also find the Chemex brewed coffee too watery (I have the same problem with the pod style coffee makers like Keurig and Nespresso). I brew Lavazza or, when I can find it, Caffe Vergnano espresso. 100% Arabica beans are worth the extra money, in my opinion. I use a stove top espresso maker (Bialetti is the most popular brand, but others are just fine). The only exception is during really hot weather, when I make cold brew coffee.

Coffee time is me time. I drink my cup early in the morning while I read the paper, before going to work.

18.August.2014

French Press, baby!!!!! I grind my own beans using Blanchard’s Coffee (the VMFA blend) (www.blanchardscoffee.com). You can get a French Press of any size or brew as much as you want, so the amount won’t matter. I can’t drink my coffee any other way. If you message me your address, I will mail you some coffee so you can try and see what you think. My mom introduced me to it, and it is the best coffee I have ever had!

I’m a similar coffee drinker to you (pre-Mabrey). I love coffee, but it’s not part of my daily routine, but when I have it, I want to enjoy every last drop.

I, too, have a Keurig, but it’s on it’s last leg. My favorite part of the Keurig is having the re-usable cup to use my own grounds…but I am also quite intimidated by a french press. We were recently gifted (for our wedding!) an espresso maker, which I’m curious to try….

But right now, the Keurig with the re-usable cup wins….with Starbucks blonde roast. It’s a great flavor, lighter than traditional Starbucks blends, and it’s available in most grocery stores.

18.August.2014

I don’t like a hot drink in the summer so I make iced coffee. I brew a pot of strong coffee and freeze it in ice cube trays. In the morning, I put a few cubes in a glass (I store the rest in tupperware in the freezer) and pour milk over it–instant iced coffee. You can control how much milk you want or what kind. I prefer vanilla soy milk. :)

replied on August 18th, 2014

What a great idea to freeze some of it in ice cube trays!

18.August.2014

Bulletproof coffee, a must try!!

replied on August 19th, 2014

Coffee + butter + coconut oil?! Mind. Blown.

replied on August 19th, 2014

100% Agree! Bulletproof coffee, using a french press to brew the coffee, is pure heaven…

replied on August 19th, 2014

Btw, I use an immersion blender stick to blend it up. Much simpler than pulling out (and cleaning) my countertop blender.

18.August.2014

I love this little piece. I really like hearing about how other people carve out a few precious moments in their day in order to find happiness and joy in the everyday/mundane. Because, although I’m often in project mode and looking to do tweaks to my own home in order to improve it…I always find it important to remember to be happy with what you have in life, and not focus on what you want or wish you had. :)

I have to say that one of my special treats in life is also in the form of a cup of coffee. But, it’s special, because it’s the coffee that my dad makes for the family before he heads out for work (or a weekend golf game). Although I never drank coffee while I lived at home as a teenager/young adult, I now love waking up to a cup of Dad’s special blend when I’m back at home visiting or at the family cottage.

Every time I have a cup, I tell him how it’s the best and ask him “what’s the trick?” Here is what I have learned:

1) Buy fresh whole coffee beans and grind them just before making your coffee
2) Buy your coffee beans in small batches – like weekly so it doesn’t go stale.
2) Never (ever) store your coffee in the freezer as it dries it out.
3) Buy the best grinder that you can. A burr grinder it the best type of grinder as it grinds more evenly
4) Make sure that your coffee maker can get your water hot enough (surprisingly, a lot of coffeemakers – regardless of price point – can be weak in this area).

So that’s my Dad’s special recipe for what I…and many other family & friends consider the best coffee.

Oh, and my mom and I would both add, that having a pretty cup to drink from is also key. :) I somehow does make it taste better! it’s like magic.

Enjoy!

replied on August 18th, 2014

I do exactly this every morning and use the Trader Joes Cup of Joe coffee. Perfect!

replied on August 19th, 2014

Love all of these tips! Thank you (and your dad).

18.August.2014

Wait, you just rocked my world. There’s a reusable cup for the Keurig?!?

replied on August 19th, 2014

I think you can empty the grinds once you pop the top and then refill it. I did it on night shift at work once in a very desperate attempt to find coffee!

replied on August 19th, 2014

Seriously — not wanting to produce waste was my main argument about buying a home keurig. Now I have the feeling I must have one!!!

18.August.2014

I’m not a coffee drinker but live with a big coffee fan. A french press is really easy to use (even I make good coffee with it) – put in correct number of scoops, add hot water, wait, press (that bit is really satisfying!). You can get cute little ones just for one person.

I’ve heard good things about Aeropresses (pressi?!) and they look super cool but a bit more fiddly

Jo

18.August.2014

I have a Keurig and love it! I usually just pop in whatever K-cup I happen to have on hand, which more often than not is the generic chai latte. If I even go the coffee route, I do have a re-usable container and use the Dunkin Donuts chocolate flavor. However, my step-dad travels so frequently that he now takes K-cups from the hotels he’s in and brings them to me whenever he visits….so I’ve now acquired some random house brew that’s actually really, really good. I’ve only used three of those but may need to start drinking coffee a little more often. I’m the tea drinker at my office :) I do have a tiny little coffee pot that gets used once a year or so, but that doesn’t really count!

18.August.2014

I have an 8-oz French press that I love! I really enjoy the process of making my coffee as well as drinking it. With the French press there is quietness about the process that I welcome and I love the fact that I don’t waste any coffee.

18.August.2014

I love coffee. Love it. My favorite brewing method is french press but that is saved for the rare Saturday morning alone with the hubby. We just use a regular drip Cuisinart during the week. Though I’m jonesing for a fancy espresso machine. I go back and forth on favorite coffee brands. I love the Starbucks Verona bean and my favorite right now is a coffee/chicory blend. Creamer only, no sugar. It’s divine. Cafe Du Monde is the brand.

18.August.2014

I used to have a single cup Bodum (a French press) that I ADORED. I loved that it was perfectly me-sized and so SMOOTH! Another plus is that it’s super easy to clean, just rinse or dish wash it. No need to clean with vinegar or solutions like some coffee makers.

It makes me giggle when people talk about being intimidated by French presses, as it is truly the most simple way of brewing coffee there is. For my single cup Bodum, I would use 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds and just fill the press to the top with boiling water from my tea kettle. Wait 5 minutes or so and pour yourself a cup!

18.August.2014

I too enjoy mornings with my coffee. My boyfriend is the snob in the house – he somehow concluded that our coffee grounds were getting stale too quickly, so we only buy whole beans now. We grind enough for one french press every morning and put some water on to boil in the electric kettle (I’ve had it since college & I think it’s faster than the stove). We used to have a Bodum single serve press that was very petite – and pretty adorable – but we upgraded to a full size after we both started drinking a cup or two each morning. As for types of coffee beans, we try all sorts and pick up different kinds while traveling. Most times we stick to Dunkin’ Donuts or Peet’s, but once in a while we splurge on Vigilante Coffee roasted locally in DC.
You can’t beat the speed & ease of a Keurig, but the process of brewing in a french press is therapeutic in itself :)

18.August.2014

I don’t consider myself a coffee drinker, but my husband is. He has an AeroPress and he loves it. It only makes one cup of coffee at a time, so it is perfect for him. He buys whole bean coffee and grids it and then puts it in the AeroPress. He says it makes even cheap coffee taste amazing.http://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1408387805&sr=1-1&keywords=aeropress

replied on August 18th, 2014

I am a coffee snob for sure ( I roast my own beans) and a aeropress is the way to go! Try some locally roasted beans and grind them fresh. A good grinder makes a huge difference too.

replied on August 19th, 2014

We use an Aeropress too and also grind the coffee beans daily. It makes an amazing cup of coffee.

replied on August 21st, 2014

Yes!! I was just scrolling through to see if anyone had suggested aeropress :) I’m the only one in my house who drinks coffee and I HATE cleaning out my bodum french press (no garbage disposal – what to do with the moist boggy grounds?!) Aeropress is perfection. ‘Making’ the coffee is a bit more involved than a regular drip coffee maker or even a french press, but it has become a nice little ritual for me. And the clean up is super easy (unscrew the bottom and push the little dry puck of grounds straight into the trash). Agree that it makes cheap coffee taste good, but ohmygosh it makes good coffee taste amazing. Worth the extra few bucks, I think.

18.August.2014

I love the Archer Farms Donut Shop ground coffee from Target.

Tried other expensive brands and just kept coming back to that one. I use it in my reuseable Keurig filter too.

I will agree that fresh ground and Chemex make a great, smooth cup but I take the quick easy route with my keurig.

18.August.2014

I buy coffee from red thread good coffee dot com (based in Sag Harbor, NY) and also Staufs (based in Grandiew, Oh) I love the purist and give my left arm for the dreamy coffee from red thread. Staufs is an amazing roaster in Grandview that is like coffee heaven, there is so much deliciousness to choose from there :)
Our brewing habits have evolved over the last 6 years from drip coffee to French press to a stove top espresso maker. After our third was born we major splurged and bought a second hand Jura espresso machine. It makes the best cup of coffee ever.

18.August.2014

We use a Chemex and it’s pretty easy! And very easy to get a single cup of coffee. Heat up an electric kettle to ~202 degrees, dampen the filter and put it into the Chemex, put in a couple scoops of coffee, pour in a small amount of water so it’s slightly bubbling (the “bloom”), then about 30 seconds later, fill up the top with water and wait for it to filter through.

I get my beans from a local place called High Grounds in Baltimore and I’m a big fan.

replied on August 18th, 2014

I completely agree. I was not a coffee drinker until recently and was intimidated by the Chemex for a long time. Now that I’ve conquered my fear, I can say it really is much easier than it looks. Honestly, I still can’t work a normal coffee machine.

Plus it’s easy to clean and stores away much easier than a machine or looks nice on an open shelf.

I love coffee but I, like you, appreciate the convenience factor as well. As coffee can be coated with a lot of chemicals and such, I try to go organic. I LOVE Allegro coffee from Whole Foods (also served at some other health food type stores if you don’t have Whole Foods nearby). I buy it whole bean and then I use this grinder (http://www.mrcoffee.com/mr.-coffee/BVMC-BMH23.html) to grind just what I need for a refillable K-CUP like you use for your Keurig. The perfect amount of delicious, organic coffee for one! And I love that the grinder holds the beans up top and allows you to customize how much coffee you want at a time!

When my hubby and I want coffee at the same time or we have people coming over, I opt for a french press which is delicious but uses a lot of coffee which doesn’t seem necessary when it’s just me!

18.August.2014

For the summer we’ve been doing cold brew and love it. I use a hand turn burr grinder (cheaper and quieter than the electic kind, plus it’s a little meditative) on a coarse grind. Then put the grounds in the french press in the morning, add filtered water, leave it on the counter/in the fridge and the next morning you have delicious, non-bitter cold coffee!

To make it even better – coffee ice cubes! Just collect the extra coffee from each morning’s brew and freeze them.

Typically we use a trader joe’s medious roast or some central/south american roast from Whole Foods. But I second Chloe Joy, living in DC I’ll occaisionally splurge on Vigilante and it’s worth it.

replied on August 18th, 2014

I second the South American coffee! I especially like Trader Joe’s Columbian and Guatemalan roasts. I’ll also add my vote to the many already listed for a french press and coffee grinder. Always try to grind your beans the day of, it does make a difference! One thing to keep in mind with the french press is you want a coarser ground bean, otherwise it can get through the filter.

replied on August 20th, 2014

I’m a cold brew convert as well. More flavorful, less acidic. Though I’m lazy and buy cold brew concentrate from Trader Joe’s :)

replied on September 2nd, 2014

Just discovered cold brew this summer and am loving it! We tried the French press method and found it too cumbersome for daily use, so on the weekends I take a 1 gallon pitcher, add 1/2 lb freshly ground (on coarse setting) coffee, then fill with cold water. Let sit for 8-24 hours & strain thru cheesecloth to get a coffee concentrate. Pour over ice, then add milk or water to taste. Delicious, easy, cheap, no special equipment required, lower acidity than hot brew… Perfect for summers!

18.August.2014

I use a reusable k-cup filter too. I like buying a locally roasted coffee, specifically http://blackgoldroasters.com/ . See if there is a local roaster near you. It tastes SO much better because it is freshly roasted, and ours uses organic and fair trade beans. I know you can buy from our roaster online if you don’t have one near you. Trust me, huge difference!

18.August.2014

I use an Aeropress to make an Americano in the morning. It is totally ritual for me! I am pregnant and coffee grossed me out the first few months but I missed the ritual of it so much. So glad my midwife assured me that one small cup of coffee a day would not affect the baby because I can tolerate it again.

18.August.2014

We’ve started cold brewing coffee with the eight o’clock coffee in the Colombian peaks blend. Cold brewing makes a coffee concentrate that you can keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks and just add it to milk or water to your liking.

I was really skeptical of it but I’m a big big fan now bc most days I’m the only coffee drinker too and this prevents the waste plus I think it tastes better. The eight o’clock brand coffee was part of the key too. I tried some other off the shelf beans and this is the one that made the difference.

18.August.2014

I to drink coffee simply for the pleasure. Only on the weekends in the summer. More often in the winter. We use fresh ground beans or good ole folgers medium roast. And we brew it in a percolator coffee pot. It just taste better to me and it gets the water HOT.

18.August.2014

Before I was married, I always loved my french press. Put a kettle on the boil, grind the beans, let the beans steep and then slooooowly press down the filter. During the wait times, I would make myself a nice, simple breakfast. It was such a nice, peaceful ritual to start my morning.

Nowadays, my husband grinds the beans and starts up our coffee maker to brew a full pot while we get breakfast started for the kids (who are still very early risers). It’s not quite the same, peaceful mornings I had when before we had kids, but I love it.

Our favorite coffee is Blue Bottle Coffee (http://bluebottlecoffee.com), but I recently tried and Sightglass Coffee (http://sightglasscoffee.com) and I think it’s just as good. Unfortunately, those are both local to the SF Bay Area, so I don’t know if you can easily get them where you are. Whatever you buy, go for whole bean and grind it yourself (someone suggested burr grinders and I concur). Make sure you store the beans in an opaque, airtight container in a cool, dry area. Sunlight, oxygen, moisture and heat will all deteriorate the quality of your coffee beans.

18.August.2014

I have a Nespresso which was a fantastic gift and makes my coffee in the morning so delicious. We also have the Toddy Cold Brew maker (https://toddycafe.com/) which is my second favorite way to make coffee. I’ve had plenty of coffee makers break on me so the best part about the Toddy is that it doesn’t require any electronics so there’s not much that can break.

18.August.2014

a french press is super easy to use and adds to the “ritual” a bonus is you can make as much or as little as you want. I also find it less “messy” all you need is a tea kettle to boil your water and a simple glass french press kit.

18.August.2014

Bodum French Press- all the way!

replied on August 18th, 2014

Yes to the Bodum. Simple, small ritual. Make as much or as little as you want. Grind beans as you go. The tiny Cuisinart works for me. Space is an issue, and both of these are very small.

replied on August 18th, 2014

I third the Bodum french press. Also, buy the good beans! It is so worth it. I love Peace Coffee, which is locally roasted, organic, fair trade coffee. If you keep whole beans in the fridge and grind them (coarsely for french press) just before you use them they will be freshest.

replied on August 18th, 2014

A fourth on the Bodum french press and good beans. As well, while there is a price difference, fair trade is essential. After working with folks from coffee growing communities in developing countries, I’m convinced that buying anything else is definitely exploitative (which also leaves a bad taste in my mouth).

I’ll also offer a potentially controversial reco: Trader Joe’s Instant Coffee. It’s as good as foreign Nescafe (US is a different formula) and perfect for the single cup. With an electric kettle, I can have coffee in my hand in under a minute. It also speeds up iced coffee significantly. I add milk to combat acid reflux, but it’s mellow and smooth black as well. I’m very impressed and hoping it doesn’t suddenly disappear from my local store like my last fav, the cold brew coffee concentrate.

replied on August 18th, 2014

6am. Sleeping littles. Fresh beans. Maybe Costa Rican.Hand ground. French pressed. Tiniest splash of milk and honey. New post on house tweaking. Happy morning momma.

Love it.

18.August.2014

mmmm coffee, glad you jumped on the wagon! As far as beans go, the best I’ve had were from a small local coffee roaster in Center City Phila. It was so fun to go in every week and take a little time to smell the different beans and read up on the attributes of each roast. I’m no expert and didn’t learn anything substantial but I knew my beans were fresh and I was supporting small business AND the coffee was infinitely better than folgers.
I am the only coffee drinker in my house, so I don’t get to have fancy appliances, just a simple bodum french press. Mine was a cheapie from Target and has lasted at least 5 years with almost daily use.
If you happen to like iced coffee, may I suggest freezing coffee and milk into ice for use in those drinks, that way the coffee isn’t watered down.
Nowwwww I need a cup!

18.August.2014

Coffee is my luxury too… though for me it started after my second and has stuck through the third. :)

I love French press coffee. We buy whole beans (my Dad claims that the best ones are shade-grown) and I grind the right amount each evening when I wash the dishes. You can make one cup worth or a whole pot (and you can buy one-cup Bodums). In the morning,just boil water in a kettle and pour over the grinds. Utterly luxurious. Totally impacts my happiness too. :)

18.August.2014

I use a Bunn coffee maker because i love having coffee ready within minutes of getting up (it has a reservoir of hot ready to go water). I do like to grind my beans fresh, I’ve recently been on a kick of Red Velvet flavored coffee. Sounds crazy but is really yummy! I buy beans weekly at our local Winco from the bulk section. If I have leftover coffee I sometimes pour it over a little milk with ice later in the day! Sure the $5 a pop at the coffeehouse!

Gina
replied on August 19th, 2014

Ditto Amber,
This is the quickest, hottest method and no sooner than you turn around you have a full pot ready to enjoy!
Gina

Coffee is so important to me, and my time working at Sur La Table has lent itself to lots of outside research. I appreciate the Chemex, I appreciate those who take the time to grind their beans fresh each time, but those methods are not realistic for me. I have two coffee rituals, though:

1) If I am not in a rush, I use a French Press. I buy coffee beans from a local shop and they grind it for me when I buy them. When I get home I transfer them to an OXO Good Grips container to keep air out. The French Press takes a little more time each morning because I have to boil water in a kettle, then let the french press steep for 4 minutes. It’s mostly passive though and I can do my makeup or make toast while I wait. The flavor you get by using this method is very rich and almost smoky. (my old post: http://myfriendstaci.com/2013/02/07/french-press-coffee/)

2) When time is of the essence, I use the Nespresso machine. My new model, the Pixie, takes only 25 seconds to heat up and I have an espresso in hand in less than a minute. I add a splash of milk and hit the road running. ( my old post: http://myfriendstaci.com/2013/05/13/coffee-talk-epilogue-nespresso/)

I’ve found a person’s coffee ritual to be a very personal thing! My two methods are the best (of course!) or… at least they are the best for me and the way I drink coffee.

18.August.2014

Favorite is Luzianne Premium Blend (with chicory) – flavorful, but not burnt or acidic. And you use half the amount of grounds.

We have a 12-cup Bodum Chambord, been using it exclusively for a couple of years, after ditching our traditional coffee maker. We just heat water in a kettle, pour it into the press w/ grounds, set a timer…and it’s done.

18.August.2014

I will add to the group of french press lovers! I live by myself, so I usually make an entire pot of french press coffee and then put the leftovers in the fridge for iced coffee the next day (especially in the summer). I like this because you don’t waste filters, and the press itself doesn’t take up much counter space.

After breaking a few glass presses, I finally ponied up the cash for a metal one. It does leak a bit when poured, but at least I don’t have to worry about drinking glass shards!

18.August.2014

My husband is a huge coffee person. He 90% of the time makes it at home rather than buying it on the go. Go for whole beans – grind them at home (he does this daily not in batches) using a conical burr grinder. He does drip coffee for the programmable factor (weekdays) and french press on weekends (ours is from IKEA (I know you live near one) and it works great even though I tried to get him to get the fancy one!). He loves Starbucks coffee – dark. But also local coffees and certain trader Joes brands. He likes on the darkest of dark though; not sure of your preference.

18.August.2014

French press is the only way to go. We have a few different glass Bodum presses and they are all great. You get little bits of coffee bean dust in your coffee that turns it creamy and miraculous! Bonus – all the parts go through the dishwasher. Or at least they do in our house, and they’ve survived for years. Plus there are no filters to buy/throw away.

Definitely grind your beans fresh for each pot. After much research, we bought the Cuisinart Smart Grinder and haven’t looked back! We love it!

For beans, we love finding different kinds at little shops and in different places we travel. Look for oily beans…it means they are the best! We often find great organic whole beans at Costco!

replied on August 18th, 2014

Ack! Breville, not cuisinart!

And we dump loads of coffee grounds down the drain and have never had a problem…

18.August.2014

I, like you, used to enjoy a cup occasionally, going back to high school ! when our Latin teacher would allow those of us in “Latin Club” to partake during class, scandalous ;) I am a mother to 3 girls and I now drink coffee daily. We have a simple Keurig at home which brews 1 cup and I enjoy it. I am not married to any particular brand, usually whatever is on sale and I prefer flavored over straight-up. I had a French-press until my husband broke the glass beaker and I haven’t replaced it. I enjoyed grinding the beans myself and I’m thinking I may add a new French-press to my Christmas list this year :) Usually reserved that to the weekend mornings. I’m a one-cup a day girl myself and also don’t find I get headaches if I skip a day or two.

18.August.2014

I too am the only coffee drinker in my house. When my Keurig bit the dust I did a lot if research and ended up getting the aeropress off of amazon. No electricity needed and it stores easily. Super good coffee and easy to make…not as convenient as the Keurig but better!

18.August.2014

I only drink coffee when I’m camping out with my family. It’s just fun to wake up to the smell of coffee. A good try would be Trader Joe’s Colombia Supremo -medium roast; It’s the perfect coffee flavor. You can also try other brands that use Colombian Supremo coffee beans. Trust me, its good!

18.August.2014

I can not start my day without coffee. I follow my mom’s tried and true method that everybody loves! I’ve converted quite a few coffee drinkers to it…

1. percolator http://www.amazon.com/Presto-02811-12-Cup-Stainless-Coffee/dp/B00006IV0Q

2. plain coffee of choice (http://www.amazon.com/Dunkin-Donuts-Original-Blend-Coffee/dp/B00JI498GG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1408389553&sr=1-1&keywords=dunkin+donuts+coffee)

3. a sprinkle of cinnamon mixed in with grounds so it percolates with coffee!! that’s the secret!..
let it percolate, and enjoy!

replied on August 18th, 2014

Those moms and their secret ingredients! Sounds divine.

18.August.2014

I work at a coffee roaster outside of Boston. Coffee tastes best when you buy smaller amounts and grind daily. The AeroPress is our best-selling product. It’s basically a cheaper French press and brews only a cup at a time. My boss uses one for himself when he travels. We sell it for $24.95 here, and the you can get a three pack of reusable filters for under $5. I believe what he uses at home is the Technivorm ($300 on Amazon), and he says it’s the best because it gets hotter than most other brewers.

If you’re interested in iced coffee, check out the Toddy. We sell cold brewed iced coffee and it’s the easiest and best way to make it! It apparently works for iced tea too but I’ve never tried that.

18.August.2014

I use a Keurig with a re-usable filter too, since I’m the only coffee drinker in the house. I bought a cheapo coffee grinder on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-E160BY-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00006IUX5/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1408389690&sr=1-2&keywords=coffee+grinder) and I do think it’s worth it to fresh grind the beans. This particular grinder is tiny and has a retractable cord so it’s easy to stash away in the cupboard. I buy Starbucks whole bean out of habit and because I like strong, dark coffee, and grind the beans as I need them.

18.August.2014

I rarely leave my house without my travel mug in hand but I am no coffee snob or connoisseur. I tried the french press but cleaning up the grinds got annoying, especially after a plumber warned me that throwing coffee grinds down the sink is the worst thing you can do…I have been ordering French Market Coffee & Chicory from Amazon. It tastes great, the price is decent and free delivery with prime and subscription order means I always have it on hand. Full disclosure: I fill a reusable k-cup and use it twice to make a 16-18 oz travel cup at a time. Like I said – I am neither snob/nor connoisseur…my coffee may be weak but it is really one of my little happy me-moments every day. Thanks for your blog.

18.August.2014

I only have two kids so I’m not a regular coffee drinker yet, just an occasional as you describe :) Most of the coffee people I know use French presses! For ease of use and cleaning, I don’t think they can be beat, and you can also use them for teas and tisanes.

18.August.2014

We use a pour over method– melita makes a 1-2 cup filter or what looks like a funnel but they also make a large 6-10 cup that goes straight into a carafe. It’s a lot like a Chemex without the glass. Super easy and you can use whatever beans you want.

18.August.2014

Kona coffee (with hazelnut creamer) is my favorite! and you can’t go wrong with a Keurig!

18.August.2014

Not a coffee drinker, diet coke is my poison of choice…BUT I was gifted a Nesspresso and my husband, an avid coffee snob, loves it! You have to order the pods online or by phone, which can be a pain I guess, but he thinks it’s totally worth it.

18.August.2014

My husband is the coffee fan in our house. He occasionally uses k-cups at work and sometimes at home. I think my keurig for me is just a large hot water dispenser! I normally drink teas, hot or iced. But my husband has a ridiculously large and expensive espresso machine and grinder, huge! So he’s pretty picky about his coffee. I’ve learned from him whole bean is the best, and make sure it doesn’t go stale, is stored in a dark air-tight container, and grind just before using it. I’ve ordered Crema for him, now he uses Singing Rooster from Haiti, and I like that it’s a non-profit. They even make k-cups too!

18.August.2014

A subject dear to my heart. Coffee is my first love. The Aeropress is my favorite way to make a morning cup of coffee. It’s similar to the french press but no sediment and is much easier to clean. Plus, it’s great to travel with. I can’t tell you how many french presses I’ve broken over the years. Now, I just use one if I am making more than one cup.

18.August.2014

my hubby and i are complete coffee snobs. fortunately, we live in milwaukee, with several amazing coffee roasters within 20 miles of our house. i look for dark roasts with low acidity for a smoother taste and a better feeling in the tummy. nearly any micro-roaster will have a good coffee, and BONUS: they are likely fair trade, so you don’t have the guilt of knowing some farmer is being jipped out of a livelihood so we can enjoy a cheap cup o’ joe.

for brewing method, i highly recommend the Aeropress. I’ve tried everything and that’s the winner in our house. you can make as many or few cups as you want and as strong/weak as you want. travels well, perfect for camping, no electricity, and produces the best coffee i’ve ever tasted.

18.August.2014

for my husband’s birthday this past february, he asked for amazon gift cards. he then compiled all those gift cards and bought a fancy espresso maker- a gaggia. i make myself a cappucinno every morning and i LOVE the ritual of it. it takes me a few more minutes than with the keurig, but it is definitely worth it. i think my favorite bean is the starbucks espresso blend- rich and strong, but not too bitter. yum. now i want another cappuccino!